a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

I need trailer weight info...

Started by kchunk, February 08, 2008, 10:38:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kchunk

I went to register my new-to-me 23 the other day. As some of you know, I bought her in SC and relocated her to FL. In SC they don't have to register or title the trailer. Here in FL I have to title and tag the trailer. They asked me the weight of the trailer and told me since I didn't know I was going to have to take it to a scale to weigh it. Anyone know the weight of the original Performance trailer that would have come with a '91 CP23? The marina I'm keeping the boat at has the trailer in storage and it'll be a half a pain in the a$$ to dig it out and tow it to a weigh station (I assume a weigh station will weigh it for me). Any pointers? THanks!

--Greg

Bob23

Greg:
   Do they want the weight of the trailer or the capacity? Here in NJ, that's how the fees are established- by the weight the trailer can hold. Aside frim that, I'd just guess...who's gonna check it?
   I don't have the same trailer but I'm guessing mine weighs about 1000 lbs.
   Bob23 in NJ

B.Hart

In florida they go by the empty weight of the trailer, and allyou need is a weight ticket from a certified scale (truck stop, scrap yard) If the trailer weighs under 2000# it does not have to have a title, but many do and should show the weight on it.   BILL

kchunk

Bill, the lady at the DMV said 500 lbs. If its under 500 lbs., they don't care. I'd just say it's less than 500 lbs. but with tandem axles you could tell I was lying a mile away.

Craig Weis

Here in my sleepy little town, I take anything I need weighed to Hase Metal Scrap Yard and tow the whole rig onto the scale. Have it weighed, exit the scale, drop the trailer, and reweigh my Ford Expedition. Looking at the two weigh tickets one can [with some trouble, after all we are products of public education] subtract the two tickets and have a weight for the trailer...btw my Com-pac trailer is 483 lbs. But I added a few things, like a cat walk so I could reach the bow and deck when she is on the trailer. Also allows me to walk above the water to hook the bow ring to the trailer winch.

The other way is to tape measure the lengths of steel used to make the trailer. Measure the size and thickness and number of pieces, guess on the wheel/tire weights, brakes ? and hitch/jack. [or find the shipping weight in the West Marine Catalog] then look up the steel weight in your handy Ryerson Steel book, add 10% for hot dip and the wood you forgot to add in. If you do this right the 'guess/estimate will be right~on! LOL My other trail is double axle, flatbed that can carry 16,000 lb. It weighs 2300 lb. I built it in 1984. skip.