a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Headstay "adjuster?"

Started by fiddlerami, February 05, 2008, 05:03:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fiddlerami

On my CP-16 I like to leave the turnbuckles on the shrouds and headstay adjustments as they are.  Obviously when I step the mast I cannot install the pin in the headstay fitting without rigging a secondary line to pull the mast forward enough to make the connection.  Has anyone ever seen a lever-type tensioner (possibly operating similar to a chain binder used to tension chains on over-the-road trucks) for standing rigging?  Please advise.  Other ideas with which to accomplish the same thing could also be helpful.  Thanks in advance.

B.Hart

I think the newer boats use something like that.  I always unscrew the head stay turnbuckle and leave the sides hooked up.  I like your idea.   BILL

NormD

The device you're looking for is called a Johnson lever. It's $32.99 at West Marine part # 246175. Com-Pac sells them too. They use them on the SunCat/Legacy etc.

I'm sure there are other sources.

Bob23

On the 23, I loosen the bobstay, loosen the forward shrouds, and loosen the backstay to drop the mast. I don't mind all the work as it gives me a chance to look over the rig. I usually (or should) retune it in the spring when I step the mast for the summer.
  bob23 dreaming of rigging!

fiddlerami

Quote from: NormD on February 06, 2008, 06:54:56 AM
The device you're looking for is called a Johnson lever. It's $32.99 at West Marine part # 246175. Com-Pac sells them too. They use them on the SunCat/Legacy etc.

I'm sure there are other sources.

Thanks for the info.  I decided, being squeaky cheap and liking to "do my own thing," build my own tensioner.  I referenced the Johnson lever photos found on the web and came up with my own version.  I bought a scrap of 11 ga. stainless at a marine surplus shop for $5 and built it.  It works perfectly.  I kept the overall pin-to-pin distance less than the adjustment range available on the turnbuckle thereby eliminating the necessity of shortening the headstay itself.  I posted pics of the finished product in the gallery - "most recent" will bring them up as will a search using the word "headstay".  Thanks for all who responded to my inquiry.

NormD

Looked at the images of your headstay adjuster. While I admire your ingenuity, I'd be a little concerned about the load of the forestay bending or breaking the 90 degree extension off of the lever.
The Johnson lever accepts the load directly above the pivot once it is in a closed position. Your version accepts the load at 90 degrees from the pivot.

Links to images of the Johnson Lever from Com-Pac Yachts and West Marine:

http://www.com-pacyachts.com/mastendrpictorial3.php

http://images.westmarine.com/large/246175.jpg

fiddlerami

Thanks for the feedback Norm - Although I admittedly designed my lever using gut feel based on an engineering design career, I did not do any actual calculations using strength of materials data et al.  Your post caused me to do that.  As far as the "bending" concern (out of the plane of the lever) I see no concern in that the long arm of the lever holds the short arm parallel to the tension applied.  But if the "bending" concern you mentioned is within the plane of the piece, then it would be best described as distortion, the weakest link being that portion of the lever next to the fulcrum (pin) which is in tension and has a cross-sectional area of .023 sq. inches.  Applying tensile strength of the material used (85,000 lb/sq. in) to that area dictates that failure would occur when the force is 1987 lbs.  I then calculated the tension which would cause failure of the screws used in the turnbuckle which came to 1785 lbs.  Both "weak links" have similar overall tensile strengths and since the entire boat weighs in the neighborhood of 1100 lbs., in theory at least could be lifted by the headstay alone!  I don't plan to try it!!  I feel confident enough to have no worries whatsoever about the integrity of the lever assembly failing in normal or even severe conditions, but if Murphy rears his ugly head and I do experience a problem I'll let all-y'all know.