a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Offshore Cruising

Started by PWSII, January 18, 2008, 02:42:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PWSII

I took a leap of faith last October with my '04 25 and sailed in the Harvest Moon Regatta which is a 250 mile point to point Cat3 offshore race (no life raft) from Galveston to Port Aransas  I figured this regatta would be perfect for the boat since historically it ends up being 30 some hours on a beam reach down the Texas coast.  After about 40 hours of sailing (some motor-sailing), we finished the regatta in the Port A jetties at about 5am.  It was an absolute blast going down, and equally adventurous cruising back since we spent the entire time on the ICW.  Sailing the ICW is worth a separate entry with the various ports-o-call, history, swing bridges, locks, tugs, and wildlife reserves... bit of a hidden treasure down this way.  Also worthy of a separate entry is the regatta itself (www.harvestmoonregatta.com) which very well organized and a grand time for all involved.

My boat pre-race had many of the standard features (see earlier posting).  The main things I added were the following:
•   Asymmetric pole-less spinnaker (400SF) plus blocks, lines and halyard.  In 15+knot winds it overpowers the boat causing it to round-up, but anything less makes for nice cruising.  I went ahead and purchased the ATN tacker and sleave also, thinking initially they were mere luxury items but wow did they prove valuable. 
•   VHF radio (Uniden Fixed Mount 525) with Shakespeare antenna at the top of mast.  The radio installed with no problems and I registered for an MMSI # with BoatUS.  The radio has DSC capability though the USCG isn't supported it yet on the Texas gulf coast.  I had the standing rigging tuned during the antenna install.
•   Depth finder (Uniden QT106).  I wasn't quite sure just how effective this would be since the puck shoots thru the hull (versus in-hull), but for $100 I figured it was worth trying as I really like the peace of mind knowing there aren't any holes in my boat beneath the waterline.  I followed the instructions, positioned it under the starboard settee in the cabin, and it works like a champ.  Yes, the boat only draws 30" but knowing the depth made navigation (unmarked channels) and finding anchorages along the ICW much easier.
•   Boat safety gear.  TypeIV horseshoe to go with one of those tethered throwable jobbies, jack-lines, signal flares, handheld VHF, spare VHF antenna mount, radar reflector, binos w/ built in compass (nice!), chem lights, and a spot light to name a few of the more critical items.
•   Navigation gear.  Charts, chart tools, and local cruising books.  I don't have any electronics at the helm – just my trusty Garmin mapping GPS with all the e-charts loaded.  The Garmin sits in one of those ridiculously overpriced mounting arms secured to the binnacle.  It operates on AA battery and, if need be, a 12v plug.  I have a spare GPS that gives position but doesn't map.

Gerry at Compac was a big help specifying type and location of equipment.  One reason there is not a lot of chatter concerning the 25 model on this site is because only about 50 of them have been made.  From what I understand Compac is discontinuing the line because they simply cost too much to build... makes me feel even better about owning one.

I had a relatively experienced crew consisting of my old man, bro, and uncle.  All of us (sans bro) are sailboat owners and have raced previously together on Lake Huron (Mac Race) in a different boat.  We had great weather and calm seas the majority of the race which had us wondering if we didn't pack enough Class 6 in the ice chest.  The last 8 hours, however, we experienced 4-6 foot swells while working our way almost down-wind into the Port A jetties.  The boat handled fine although there isn't a lot of rudder throw since it's no deeper in the water than the keel.  Finishing was a bit adventurous due to a huge outbound tanker from Corpus taking up the channel coupled with a strong current... with a 9.8hp outboard in those conditions you have to have a conceived, verbalized plan well in advance. 

I primarily sail on Galveston Bay and pre-race I was thinking my boat may be a tad bit undersized (race committee did too) for the occasional off-shore cruise, but those thoughts have been erased.  It's solid, handles well, tracks well, and is very accommodating for it's size... we're talking 4 grown men for a week on a steady diet of bologna sandwiches, canned dinners and coffee – 'nuf said.

My only thoughts now are on additional improvements for this year's regatta.  A dodger, better line clutches atop the cabin, and 2nd house battery are on the punch list... just as soon as I finish with the teak.

Regards,
Pete
s/v Simplify

B.Hart

Hi Pete, some people get to have all the fun! Lots of great info also.  HAPPY SAILING   BILL

Glenn Basore

Pet,

Very nice post.

I'm going to look at the Uniden QT106 that your using. i too don't like any holes below the water line.

Glenn