a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Main Sheet Option Opinions

Started by jimyoung, December 13, 2007, 10:32:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimyoung

Rich (from ComPac) informed me that my main sheet traveler upgrade parts are shipping today (I am moving the traveler from aft of the cabin entry to the newer style over the cabin -forward- location) and I am still in a dilemma as to which design will be better; routing the main sheet forward to the deck just aft of the mast then through turning blocks and then back off to one side of the cabin deck as comes from the factory, or a simpler approach directly back to the helm from the traveler.  My first thought is the second option as I very seldom set the traveler directly in the center of the boat anyway.

But I am intrested in hearing the opinions from newer '27 owners and anyone that has perhaps sailed on both configurations.  Pros and Cons anyone?

bmiller

My boat is rigged straight back to the helm. I can trim as needed from the helm, although sometimes getting the line to lock into the cam can be a pain in moderate and above winds.

I think the pro's are fewer parts, easier to single hand and no additional hardware to mount on the cabin top.

Con's would be having the sheet always in the center of the cockpit, the mechanical advantage is limited to your sheet block arrangment (of course I could re-rig with different blocks for more MA), if you routed it back you could also use a winch/stoppers.

Here's mine, as built by the previous owner, Steve.

jimyoung

Bill,
Thanks for the input... I went ahead and did mine pretty much the same way and with the adjustable guide hope to avoid any un-cleating problems.

bmiller

Did you replace your cabin top grab rails? Looks like they are three piece and white.

jimyoung

Yes, after 19 years of taking care of topside teak I now have replaced it all with fiberglass. Handrails, bowsprit, all the teak in the cockpit have all been either removed and glassed over or re-cut and then primed and painted with awlgrip.

Below decks have also been refurbished, replacing all non-teak surfaces with new teak to balance out removing it topside.   We all need something to do with our spare time!