a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Recovering and Refinishing

Started by dreamchaser, October 21, 2004, 03:43:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dreamchaser

Haven't  posted in a while, computer went down, needed a new hard drive. always something. Spent the last thirty days having and recovering from a adominal aortic aneurysm repair, not fun stuff for sure. It was time well spent though, restoring the topsides and brightwork on the LAGNIAPPE, in case anyone wonders, laganiappe is pronounced lan-lap it is a colorful linguistic relic of our past when the Creole era dominated New Orleans and the Gulf coast. It's meaning is like a bakers dozen(13), or something extra. A fitting name for a CP23.
  I painted the topsides with Interlux Brightside blueglo white & the nonskid in Interdeck cream. A beautiful combination ! The brightwork got
12 coats of Epifanes Varnish. Quite a job for a guy recovering from surgery. Pictures will follow soon.
  I am adding a bowsprit for a CP23II conversion, checked with the factory and the wanted $585.00 for it. I'll just build one my self, I have the teak and stainless steel. The LOD of a CP23 is 22'9" and the 23II is
23'11", seems if I move the tack 14" forward I should be right on the money. I'll fabricate a bobstay & new headstay, and that should take care of it. I've made a new binboard of Lexan, and a buddy is etching the boat name on it for me. Saving some belowdeck work for rainy weather.

DREAMCHASER

CaptK

dc -

Sorry to read of the health problems, but it sounds like you are doing better now. That's good! :)

Your boat sounds like she's beautiful! Are we gonna see some pictures of her? :D
My other car is a sailboat.

sailFar.net
Small boats, Long distances...

johnny b

Congratulations on your recovery from the surgery!

QuoteI painted the topsides with Interlux Brightside blueglo white & the nonskid in Interdeck cream. A beautiful combination !

I'm interested in the details of this process, as my topsides are still original after 25 years  :shock: .  What kind of preparation did you need to do?  If I understand correctly, you painted the smooth deck areas with Brightside and the nonskid areas with the cream, right?  How much of each did you need, and how many coats?  Did you do it all at once or split the deck into sections?  Is it easier to keep clean now than before?

Thanks, and I, too, am looking forward to seeing the pictures!