a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Hitch Extension

Started by tmorgan, November 16, 2007, 08:01:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmorgan

It became clear quickly that an extended trailer hitch would be very helpful in launching our Suncat using the shallow ramps at the Chesapeake Bay and in the summer when our home Smith Mountain Lake, VA, is low due to drought.  I found the following website http://captainslog.janktheproofer.com/trailerextension.htm that was wonderful in helping me figure out what to due to extend my trailer hitch.  The result is an extension which works beautifully in both lauching and trailering.  I have put several pictures in my member gallery Sunshower http://www.com-pacowners.com/gallery2/displayimage.php?album=lastup&cat=0&pos=0.  I ordered the tubular steel to insert in the original trailer tongue from www.metalsdepot.com and they delivered the steel to my door in four days!  The rest of the materials I picked up locally.  The hardest part was drilling the holes in the steel which I had to do in 1/8"  steps from 1/8" up to a hole that would fit the pin with little slack.  Total cost was about $120.00 which included the materials plus several drill bits.  The price includes locks on the pins as shown on the website where I got the idea.

patch

i believe that a longer trailer hitch will help in backing up.the trailer will not jack knife as quick with a longer hitch extention.

Glenn Basore

tmorgan,

I have this on my list to do this spring and you have done exactly what I was planning on doing.

Very nicely done.

Glenn B.

patch

great idea,what did you use to cut through the trailer rail,i could use that to fit the boat into a to short garage.

roland cobine

if you have a 2" receiver hitch you can just get a piece of 2" box steel and put a hitch ball on one end and drill the appropriate hole for the receiver. cheaper and you dont have to hatchet up the trailer

tmorgan

I just bought the next size down in tubular steel and inserted it into the original tongue.  In my  case 2 1/2 " original and 2" insert.  I had to buy a smaller hitch to put on the insert.  So I did not cut a thing.