a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Marine band radio / vhf ?

Started by Glenn Basore, October 22, 2007, 03:22:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn Basore

What is a good, reasonably price radio I can mount on my boat permanently.

I have an Eclipse, Not sure where I would mount it other than inside some place.

Where would the antenna go or could you use the mast itself as an antenna ?

I'm electrically challenged !

Rick Klages

Cruising boats often have mast mount antennas.  Most large racing boats use transom mounted fiberglass "fishing pole" antennas (5/8th wave or better).  Unless you are using the HF ham bands I'd stay away from energizing your standing rigging.  1/2 wave METZ antenna seen here on a rail mount.

On top of the mast is common. This antenna requires no ground plain.

http://www.metzcommunication.com/

ick

Craig Weis

On the Eclipse a good place and way that I would like to mount a tiny Undyne [small] VHF radio with a panic button, and feel free to disagree, is to remove two screws that best match the holes in the radio's bracket, [might have to drill a new hole in the radio bracket] is from the cabin overhead where the screws that hold the wood that the companion way hatch slides and is guided in go up through the overhead and into the wood strips. Put her all back together with 3-M 5200 slow set sealer when the screws are screwed back in to hold the bracket prior to radio insertion.

Usually these screws have a decorative ring that finishes the 'look' off very nicely. IN THIS WAY no additional mounting holes need to be drilled in the cabin overhead, and the radio is mounted high, out of the way and inside as to be out of the rain and the radio/handset [some with channel changing controls] is placed in its holder right by the entrance way to the companion way. So one can use it from the cockpit or cabin's inside.

This high out of the way location is ideal to run power and antenna to the radio on the back side, simply because the minimum amount of lead is required to run from the inside of the bulkhead, out of the bulkhead drilled holes and into the radio. I used solder type connections on all boat electrics. No 'pinch and slip-off' for me.  Includes antenna.

I ran the antenna lead [wire] from atop my mast [a Sheakspear anntenna] through a drilled hole and down the length of the mast and out of a drilled hole above the TABERNACKLE so as the lead will not interfere with raising and lowering the mast. At the base of the mast I used an EXTRA long coupler through the cabin overhead just to port of the compression post, once inside the boat go down the post, through the storage locker, under the quarter birth cushion, up in side the bulkhead that the drop board is mounted on and out a mere three inches from the back of the radio.

Leave enough antenna cable slack to comfortably pull out enough to solder, basically in your lap and then push the extra back into the hole. Directly wire through an accessory switch and fuse and your done.

Now if you with to use the same VHF antenna also for an AM/FM listening music radio Shakespear makes a junjunction box that can be hidden away up under the cabin liner. Simple to install. Takes a little thinking to make the installation look nice. Took me three days just thinking about how and where to install the unit.
All this is covered in an earlier post from skip. skip.

Glenn Basore

Thanks guys,

Rick, Do you disconnect the cable when you are not using the radio ?

I dont see the cable on your attenana, I do  like that it mount on the rail.

Skip, I will print out what you have described and climb around on my boat to get a better understanding as to what you are describing for me.

I like the idea of not drilling more holes, I like the cleanleyness of the Eclipse cabin and would like it to remain clutter free.

I'm waiting on my solar panel to arrive, I will probably wait to mount the panel until I get a radio, do it all at one time.

Can you explain the "panic button " ?

Is that like an automatic locator ?

Rick Klages

That's a generic picture from the manufacturer.  I use a hand held portable unit. I bring it along in my sea bag even when I crew on other boats. However even a hand held will benifit from a "fixed" antenna.  Your transom arch would be a natural location for a "rail" mount, just make sure your clear of the boom and etc...

ick