a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Rub Rails on a 1993 27-2

Started by Luckey, September 14, 2007, 09:38:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luckey

If you have had experience with replacing the black rubber along the rub rails I would be interested in knowing the availability of the original material.  Thanks, Steve

Craig Weis

Boy, I would think that Com-Pac might lead you to there suppler of the rub rail rubber [say that fast 10 times], Richard just might drop a hint and I'll bet it is some wholesale rubber supply house real close to the factory. Goggle image 'rub rail rubber', or and why not sign-up as a member....?. skip

In fact after I posted [then modified] this post after I looked up Goggle Images for 'Rub Rail Rubber' and had a whole bunch of silhouettes to pick from...that may match the 27 foot  Com-Pac.

spaul

Hey Steve,
Skip is on it as usual. Call the factory, they'll either supply the item or put you on to where it can be obtained. Most cooperative folks I know.

Steve Paul
cp27/2
"IM PAUL SIVE"

Steve Ledrich

Thank you Skip & Steve for your suggestions.  I'm actually looking at this boat and considering making an offer -- it's listed on Yacht World and located in Maryland.  First Com-pac I looked at and I was impressed with the design and quality of construction.  I'm new to sailing -- just finished a couple sailing courses and fell in love with this new hobby.  I'm also into antique cars, I think thats why I like the classic look of this boat -- love the Model A Fords too.  I'm working on my list of questions for the broker to take to the owner -- I would much rather buy and deal directly with the seller, at this point I'm not sure if he will work with me direct since he is paying broker fees.  Any suggestions you guys have regarding particulars on this 1993 Com-pac 27-2 would be much appreciated.  The boat does needs some TLC & I feel it has potential to look great again.  If I buy the boat I will most certainly join your association.
Thanks & Best Regards, Steve Ledrich

spaul

Steve, when I looked at my '92 27/2 in Boston I hired a professional surveyor who did a fantastic job of telling me in writing what the condition of the boat was. What was needed and what was right with it. I received a top end overhaul of the diesel engine due to antifreeze in the oil and that was that. Worth every cent of the survey.
These are well built boats but extremely subject to how and when the maintenance is performed (as is any boat). Price should be in line with overall condition. The condition of the sails was also assessed and made a difference as they were practically brand new, 2 sets actually.

Good luck and enjoy if you go this way.
Steve Paul

Steve Ledrich

Steve,

Thanks again for your followup message.  I will definitely take your advice regarding  the survey.  My plan is to inspect the boat again in detail, generate a list of questions for the owner, then make an offer pending the results of both a sea trial and survey.  I feel this boat has potential once it is cleaned up and detailed.  I'm somewhat of a perfectionist so I won't be happy until the boat is restored to excellent condition.  I realize this will take hard work and money -- my goal is to predetermine how much is needed so my expectations are realized.
I'll keep you posted if things work out.
Regards, Steve