Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

New owner of Eclipse !

Started by Glenn Basore, August 21, 2007, 11:59:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glenn Basore

I now own a 2006 Eclipse.

I wont be able to pick her up until the first or second week of Sept. Have to change a couple of schedules around so I can get a few days off to go get her.

from the DVD I received from the previous owner along with several pictures and details of the boat she looks very well maintained and cared for.

hazelscamp

Congratulations Glenn!
I know you will enjoy this boat.   When you pick up the boat for the tow back home put the motor and other heavy weight items in the tow vehicle.   I'm not sure about the new trailers but the original Proformance trailer was right near its weight limit with the boat and gear aboard.

Let us know where you go sailing out there, lake or Pacific, and how you like the Eclipse.

Norm

Glenn Basore

Thanks,

The trailer is a Performance, the tires look aw full small !

The way the boat is setting on the trailer looks like it was towed that way, ie;
mast down but sails still on mast and boom ? The motor is on the motor mount. I was planning on putting the motor in the cabin ? or should I put it in the bed of my truck (friends truck if he comes along other wise, my Chevy s10 blazer)

I have a max 5,000 lb towing, I think the total boat and trailer is about 3500 ?

I will be sailing out of Ventura or Oxnard until next year at this time when I hope to be retired, then I will be sailing I hope at lake  Tahoe and a small lake called Lake Wild Wood where I will be living.

I usually sailed my H-170 in the ocean (weather permitting) or the marinas. Lake Tahoe will give me the same feeling for the ocean I expect as big as it is.

hazelscamp

Those little tires take 90 lbs of pressure to carry the weight properly.   My trailer has a GVW capacity of 2,990 lbs, trailer weight estimated at 600 lbs, bare boat at 2,200 lbs, leaving only 190 lbs for gear.  I usually put the motor, fuel tank and water tank in the tow vehicle.   I have never had a bearing problem but I carry a spare set of bearings size 1-1/16" and I watch the tire pressure.   

The mast&boom with sails attaches at the mast stub and the boom gallows.  I just wrap a line around the sail for the length of the boom, but you could put the furling jib inside the cabin if there is one with the boat.  I leave them both tied to the boom with a sail cover in place.

Sailing in the Pacific sounds great.  I lived in San Diego,  Monterry and the Puget Sound in my early life and the Pacific always seemed more "dynamic" then the Atlantic.   Have a great time

Glenn Basore

I too have allways carried a spare hub and set of bearings, plus everthing I need to change them out. no fun sitting along a road with no help in sight.

I'm planning on getting a wheel Hub but don't know if I  contact the Performance trailer manufacture if they would no what wheel hub is on my (soon to be) trailer without a specific model number or serial no. ?

That 190 lbs isn't much of a leeway for gear and any house hold items my wife is thinking about bringing along :-(

What type of Veh do you use to tow the Eclipse ?

So now I have the bearing size, thanks, now for the wheel hub size any help with this would be appreciated too.

I just figured my s-10 blazer had enough towing compacity to do the job estimating 3500 lb max for boat and trailer, Am I way off base on this ?

GM says not to tow while in overdrive so I'm all ready aware of that issue.

I have towed at or about 5000 lbs, only a couple of times and very flat short distances. the big problem was, no stopping power.

Hope I don't have to buy a bigger tow veh and as far as towing goes, bigger is better based upon my 40 plus years of towing off and on.

hazelscamp

Glenn,  I tow my rig with a Toyota Highlander, 6cyl.   Since I'm down here on the flatlands of Florida, I haven't experienced a problem with lack of power.  The Highlander is a front wheel drive which is a help since the front wheels are usually on better surface at the ramp then the back wheels.

I have thought of geting surge brakes.  I think they may be required by some states when the rig weight totals 3,000 lbs or more.

Norm

Glenn Basore

Thanks Norm,

I have a 2 wheel drive with a limited slip rear end, The ramps that I launch are all very nice and deep so launching and retrieving have not been a problem so far, there is a big difference from a 480 lb boat vs the Eclipse I know,
I don't expect any problems towing or launching, wait and see I guess.

As to the trailer, could more springs be added to increase the maximun weight load or is it the axle that is the issue here ?

I would like to add surge breaks but before doing that, may be I should think about changing the axle out and going to a little bit larger tire, the fenders would have to be remounted as wheel. from the looks of where the boat is sitting it looks like one could go to a larger wheel ?

hazelscamp

The little tires and low trailer help to launch the boat on shallow ramps.    The trailer is probably limited not only by an axle limit but the weight capacity of the tires.

I have been thinking about surge brakes.  I have priced stainless steel brakes at about $800 installed here in Jacksonville FL.   I wonder if I should use the money instead to add another axle to the trailer or a light air drifter.

Enjoy the boat!

Glenn Basore

Tandem axle ?

That would sure help with the load don't you think ?

I'm not a big fan of tandem because I like the maneuverability of a single axle when backing up and trying to park the trailer.

but you cant beat them for load stability.

You might have to move your ex sisting axle forward or back for your load positioning when you add the second axle.

Is there much need for the surge brakes ?

I wont know until I tow my boat home for the first time, cant wait to get her.

hazelscamp

Surge brakes seem to be a personal preference with drivers.  Some don't care for the jerking in busy road conditions.  I have not noticed a real problem towing without them but as I mentioned, I am on flat land.

There are lots of things I am considering for improving the boat and trailer, but there is a balance between adding more items that may mean future maintenance and keeping the rig simple.

A new biger trailer may be better than adding brakes and another axle.

Glenn Basore

Keep me posted as to what your thoughts are for trailer improvements.

Here in Southern Calif. I must tow my boat where ever I want to sail at, the shortest distance is 50 miles one way and as you know, mileage adds up fast.

The tandem might be a simple, less costly way to increase the load of the trailer, not real sure. if its a frame issue, thats a whole different can of worms

I would like to speak with some one from Performance trailer but have not had any luck in doing so. today, I was told again by Com Pac sales, performance is out of business ?

Craig Weis

Hazelscamp; don't think the surge brakes are necessary. Save the money. Keep the tires inflated to max for the max load rating indicated on the tire's sidewall. Good hard tires will keep cool enough even in FL.

Just remember that if you are a late breaker, typically driving without a trailer, better think ahead and be early when planning to stop or slow down.

So how fast is 60 mph? About 88 feet per second. And a typical reaction time is about 1.75 seconds,  or about 155 foot. That's a lot. So I won't do any more driver's ed. Sorry. skip.

gradycampbell

I put my motor on for towing. I feel like it lightens the tongue weight (counterbalance), and that is the best place for it. My tongue weight seems a little high; I've always wondered if they set my trailer up just right. I don't keep my motor on since having one stolen off my boat at a place misnomered "Florida Secure Self-Storage." My current outboard weighs in the high 50s, so it isn't so hard to get on and off, and despite being located way out on the arm (far from the center of mass of the boat) it doesn't appear to make the boat sway or handle poorly. Though yes it would put more weight on the trailer tires.

Glenn Basore

I remove my Mercury 4 hp only to keep it from growing feet !

yes, it is heavy for me too.  I will usually add a Heavy cable and pad lock it to the mount when I do set it up to tow which is usually the night before I go sailing. when I return home I have a motor stand that I sit the motor on and put it away in the gargage, the boat sits on my drive way.

It looks like the previous owner had move the winch down from its original position, I'm not sure where it should be, perhaps some one could measure where yours is position and let me know, this way I can adjust mine accordingly.

also, I don't think I got the boat far enough forward on the trailer the last time out, she is sitting about 6 inches back from the post.

when I winched the boat forward the bow was against the roller on the post how ever, when pulling the boat out, the angle changed leaving the boat about 6 inches away from the post ?

It seems OK but a little more bouncy when towing.

When I get home and the boat is put away, I release the tension on the bow strap and remove my rear tie downs so there is no stress on the boat. something I got use to doing on my old boat.

Also, the guide bunks for the keel seem to be wrong, one side has a very pronounced  bow to it and the other which is not touching the keel is straight ?