a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Cabin light LED Mod

Started by backtalker, September 29, 2004, 08:36:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

backtalker

My 1989 C16/3 came equipped with an RV-style cabin light using a #1156 12V taillight bulb that pulls nearly 2 amps.  After searching around a bit, I found a 24-LED flat-panel array that fits wonderfully into these style of lights and uses a mere 85mA.  It generates almost no heat even after 2 hours of usage compared to the high-draw incandescent, and provides a "whiter" light of a useful intensity.  Best of all, it's cheap compared to what most other LED vendors want for their similar products.  The URL is http://www.superbrightleds.com/other_bulbs.htm.  Compared to replacing the entire light with an LED version, it's a lot quicker and easier.  Hope someone finds this useful!

spaul

Backtalker, thanks for the site, I've bookmarked it and will definately try one or two of these. Makes all the sense in the world. On our cp27 we have 7 cabin lights that "could" be on at any time we have visitors aboard. This will save a lot of amp hours for sure.
I notice there are two modes:
1 with flat plate and wire connected bulb end. Would work best for my lights.
2 normal  bulb loaded LED replacement.
If you are using the normal bulb replacement I suspect it is angled and not focused outward. If so, do you notice any loss of light output? Obviously you're happy with what you bought. The reason I ask is the price difference between the flat plate (can be faced out to offer full light output) at 14.95 and the bulb replacements at about 5-6 bucks.
Great stuff.
Steve Paul