Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Fold-away galley on the 19

Started by mgoller, September 22, 2004, 03:55:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgoller

Folds down and out of the way for making up the full v-berth

There are all sorts of possibilities for storage, little shelves, paper towel holder etc...

This view shows the strap hinges supporting the galley.  Remove the whole galley- four screws and two hose clamps.

CaptK

Marcus -

Almost! :)

I think what you did was to use the URL of the image shown to you by the Gallery page *just as you finished uploading it*. What you need to do to get the *actual* image URL is, after you upload it, go to view it from inside of it's category (ie; return to the "CP19" category page, click on the image, and use *that* URL.  This is the actual URL of the pic above:

http://www.com-pacowners.com/4images/data/media/12/hidden_galley.jpg

I put the second photo into this thread so people don't have to switch back and forth. (Like I was just doing to see how you worked this bit of magic...)
My other car is a sailboat.

sailFar.net
Small boats, Long distances...

mgoller

Hi Capt K,
Thanks for the help and the work on this fabulous web site.  I still can't get what you did to get the url off the cp 19 category.  I get something different.  I was able to put the picture into my post by pasting from your paste.  Anyway, don't worry about me I'll figure it out.
Oh, how do I put a picture next to my name on the posts?  I like how people have done that, for example a little pirate guy or a boat?

CaptK

I need to try this with micorsofts browser (I use the free, secure Firefox browser), to see what it's menus say.

Update: Ah-Hah! micorsoft Internet Exploder *won't let you see the actual image URL* (it's hidden by the Copyright notice). Let me figure out a workaround for this for those of you who use IE.

Update #2: Here is one easy way to get past the Copyright notice, if you have a mouse with a middle button (or a scroll wheel that serves the same purpose): Hold down the middle button while you right-click, then select "Properties" to see the image URL.

Update #3: OK, the Copyright-notice-on-right-click thingy is disabled. Even when using IE, a right-click should allow you to view the image Properties, and from there get the actual image URL. This was tested with IE5.5 Would anyone who uses a different version verify that it works with that version of IE for me? (Please post those replies to the topic located in the Help category, here: http://com-pacowners.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=144. Thanks! :) )

I'm learning this stuff also, Marcus, which includes learning how to *explain* this stuff. :D So this is good practice, and is giving me what I need to be able to explain it better next time.

If you go to the Gallery, click on the CP19 category, and then click on the tiny thumbnail picture of the folding-galley, you get a new page that shows the picture, it's details, and comments. The URL for that page is this:

http://www.com-pacowners.com/4images/details.php?image_id=117

But if you right click on the picture on that page, and select "Properties " (or similar), you should be able to see the actual URL of *just the picture*, which is like this:

http://www.com-pacowners.com/4images/data/media/12/hidden_galley.jpg

That is the URL you need to put between the Img tags. I think maybe I didn't make that clear enough. Does it make sense now? :)

Note: When you right-click on the picture, you should get a message that says "Copyright Com-Pacowners.com" or something. Just click "OK" until it goes away, to see your right-click menu.

As far as making yourself an "Avatar" (the little pic on the far left by posters name) : Go to the top of the page, and click on the "Profile" link. In your profile towards the bottom there is a space to upload an image to use as an Avatar. The avatar image  needs to be 130 pixels x 130 pixels (or less), and 10 kilobytes (or less) in file size. You can use something you upload to this site, or link to another site (like an thumbnail image of your boat on the Gallery site, for example, although I haven't checked to see if those little pics make it size-wise as an avatar image. Will do that now...).

Hope that helps! :)

sailFar.net

sanman60

Hi Marcus!

NICE work on the fold away galley!! Did you work up or from any plans? I would be VERY interested in making one for my 19!

Please email me or tell us what you did and how you did it...

Again VERY nice job! 8)

mgoller

Hi Capt K,
OK, that worked.  I must say I am pretty experienced with computers and it is a little complicated.  It is more work for you but a way around having people complain is for them to send you a jpeg in an email and for you to put it in the gallery.  They could then reference it in the forum.  This would possibly be an option for people that don't have the computer skills to participate.
This is how David at Texas Sailing handles pictures coming in.  He asks that they be sized appropriately and sent as a jpeg.  This also saves him from getting viruses emailed into his website.
Your explanations are good and when followed work fine.  
Again, I must say the website is great.  Last year I spent a lot of time scouring the world for information and photographs of Com-Pacs and can see how rapidly this site is going to become the clearing house for all information relating to the Com-Pac line of sailboats.

sanman60

CaptK

Marcus -

Thanks for the help, now I can fix up those pic posting directions so they are clearer.

Regarding your post above with the schematic:

That is *exactly* the type of content posting I had in mind when designing this place. The capabilities of this software, when fully utilized in such a manner, is why I believe this is a better solution to disseminate information between Com-Pac Owners than the Yahoo group format. We have a system now where any member can do this sort of thing, putting words with the images to fully describe their project, sailing trip, or question. How awesome is that? :mrgreen:

Kewl! Thanks for providing a good example of this from someone other than "the geek in charge"! :D

sailFar.net

sanman60

RIGHT ON,  Capt!

This type of forum is SO much better than Yahoo.... and for more reasons than the one you just described, too.

Keep up the good work!

RE the Galley:

Showed the picture to the Admiral last night, and got the "Ohhhh I LIKE that idea"...and so another project gets funding!!  :lol:  :wink: