a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Is it just me?

Started by Cdreamonly, September 19, 2004, 10:08:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cdreamonly

:?:  I was recently out on Lake Ontario in 3 ft seas and a couple of days later in 5 footers with winds around 15 kts on both days in my CP16.  On the day with the 3 ft seas a sailor in a 30 ft boat made the comment  "good thing you're wearing life jackets".  On the day with the 5 footers I gentleman on a large power boat asked me if I was going out and when I said yes gave me a "you must be crazy" gesture.  Both times when I went out I felt quite safe, thought my boat handled well, and actually enjoyed the 5 foot seas - it was a like going for a ride on a "kiddie" roller coaster.  Am I nieve(sp) to the "dangers" of the lake or are there a lot of "perfect weather only" boaters out there?  I was impressed with the way my 16 handled the seas.  It almost seemed to like it.

CaptK

Willi -

IMO, as long as you know your limitations, respect them, and are prepared for things to get a bit worse than what you have planned, you should be fine. The boat can take a bit more than you can, probably. :) (Caveat: If, of course, she's well maintained.)

Yes, there are lots of "fair weather sailors". I don't know Lake Ontario, or how fast your weather can change and get violent - but you should have an idea of that, and let that be your guide. I know this - 15 kts and 3-5 foot seas are well within the CP's range. The guy on the 30-footer - remember, he's looking down from a deck that's 2-3 times as high as yours, so things probably look a bit different to him, if only because of perspective. The stinkpotter guy probably has no idea what a sailboat handles like, and on his boat 5-foot'ers would just be uncomfortable, slow, rolly boating. :)

Pay attention to the weather, know what portends a sudden change, and stay close to harbor on those days. That way you get your experience level increased incrementally and safely. Reef early, sail often, and always have fun! :D
My other car is a sailboat.

sailFar.net
Small boats, Long distances...

bro t

Nearly a century ago, Shackleton sailed from Elephant Is. in Antarctica to S. Georgia Is. in a 22 ft. lifeboat with a canvas foredeck and survived the world's roughest ocean and then crossed the island (no small feat) in order to fulfill his duty to his crew, and all were rescued alive!!  The moral of the story is you make wise decisions (I wear a PFD on all but the light breeze days, even on 30+ footers) but also seek the adventure that lies in the challenge.  I have a saying that people who seek only to find comfort end up leading adventureless lives..........  Your cp16 may not be the equal of the 30 you saw, but may well have been safer in heavy seas than the big stinkpot.  Know your boat and take care of her, she's made well enough to take good care of you!!
bro t from Upwest Maine

Craig

While wave size can be the issue, but it seems to me that wind strength and the shape of the waves is as, if not more critical than wave height.  A three foot breaking wave in 25+ mph winds is far more dangerous to a 16 than a five foot roller in 15 mph winds.  Experience, good seamanship and common sense also determine whether the 16 is safe or not!

Craig

Cdreamonly

Thanks for the words of advice.  On both occasions, there was not any threat of sudden changes in weather and I did stay within a couple of miles of my port.  I also did not stay long - probably because the words of gloom began to haunt me - (what did they know that I didn't).  
 I have a fairly long channel (3/4 mile) that I travel under motor to get out to the lake from my slip and one of the things that impresses me is how my boat smoothes out and settles down once the sails are raised.  Since both the 16 and the 23 were designed by Clark Mills (correct me if I'm wrong) and from what I can see in the literature they have similar lines, does anyone know if the 23 sails & handles alot like the 16?  

PS....don't tell the wife I'm dreaming of a bigger boat!

Ron Chappell

We owned a 16 before our 23 and, yes,  those wonderfull Clarkie Mills lines are near identical and are the major reason we moved up to the 23 when we got the yen for a bit bigger boat.  I have many times sailed our 16 in conditions that would have had similar size vessels heading for port, and felt entirely secure in doing it too.  The 16 will also surf up to seven knots in the right conditions - have not been able to make the 23 do that yet - probably just to heavy.  

35 knots and five to six foot seas are about the most serious weather we have endured in the 23 (this was running before a Norther in the Sea of Cortez) and she handled it very well indeed - keeping up with several 25/26 footers who appeared to be slapped around considerably more than we were.

These are the only two CPs designed by Mills and while they have their shortcomings, seaworthyness is not one of them.

Craig Weis

The 16 as with my 19 can handle a lot more than the crew can. Stay calm, use your head, and keep her buttoned up. Drop board and companion way hatch closed and DOGGED. You can't have that thing sliding open when your about to loose control. Buy an IdaSalor rudder, tie yourself into the boat cockpit, reef her down, or sail on just the head sail. Or go bare pole, and toss out the ground tackle or storm shoot. Being slow sailing boats we never get back to the dock before the squall hits. Can you duck in behind an island? If you go for the harbor the dock and boat will crash together :oops: . That's a given and you'll have a scratch or worse, to show for it after a mad dash to a port. I like to ride 'em out.
Once I found myself not able to comeabout, so I just went straight for 40 minutes till the really big wind blew by. Then cameabout and sailed home.