a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

lazy jacks

Started by cooter, June 12, 2007, 03:15:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cooter

took delivery of the new boat yesterday and did some driveway sailing today. does anyone have a line on a source for lazy jacks for the sun cat? the dealer mentioned a company called sailrite but their site doesn't seem to offer what a sun cat would need. cooter

Craig Weis

Skip here, because of the 'mast-tender-system' I'm not sure if anybody's LazyJacks would be usable on the SunCats...
Well call me a wrong!
I see in the classified ads for a SunCat for sale, fitted with Lazy Jacks...see, read all that you can.

patch

i lower my sail,before entering the club mooring field on busy days.i see no need for lazy jacks.i just gather up the sail and tie it off to the boomstart the motor and head it.takes less than 4 minutes..less parts means less trouble.lazy jacks,boom vang,topping lift,boom kicker.dint need them.thats why i bought a suncat,less is more.if i wanted something complicated,something to aggravated me,something that didn't work i would get married again.

suncat202

I made my own. The bottom lines are terminated at the boom at the location just short of where the gaff sits when down. and the inner line loops under the boom and continues up the other side where the second gaff line is attached. This allows the lazy Jack lines to exit the sail cover at the same place as the gaff lines where the zippers are.
Now you can picture a long line forming two large loops on either side of the sail. All we have to do is find a way to hold them up and adjust them.
What I did was splice a small harken carbo block to the end of two lines. The block is placed on each of the loops. The other end of the line is lead to a check block on the mast about 1/2 between the top and the block for the throat halyard. The two lines are then lead down the face of the mast and terminate with a eye splice about 5 feet from the deck. I join one line to the two with a shackle. This line continues down the mast to an other stand up block just like the others on the mast on the port side. I added a deck organizer on the deck to match the starboard side and put another line clutch on the deck beside the one for the boom downhaul. Basically I moved the stand up block from the boom downhaul to the mast and added the deck organizer. (filled and gelcoated the old holes)
With this system I can tighten the lazy jacks and create a topping lift, boom can be supported off the gallows. 
The bottom line is long enough so that I can gather all the lines back to the mast for take down.
Sail drops right into the lazy jacks real easy.
Hope this helps