Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

What sails do you have on your ComPac 23

Started by rmonsma, May 26, 2007, 09:19:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rmonsma

Hi Everyone,

I'm curious what sail combinations are used by members of this forum for ComPac 23s.

I recently sailed my 1993 CP 23-3 for the first time and was pleseantly surprised with how she sailed.   I have a main and genoa that I think are original.  I'd guess the genoa to be about 110%.  Both sails are were made by Johnson sail company.  I'm wondering if a larger genoa would be good as well as a small jib for high wind conditions.  I sail on Lake Michigan.  How do different genoa sizes affect the handling of the boat?

Does anyone use an asymmetrical spinnaker?  How is it rigged?  Do you use the genoa halliard to raise it?  I discovered that I have an asymmetrical spinnaker that appears to be brand new.  It's a beautiful sail, large, lightweight and very colorful; obviously for light wind conditions.  It was made by Air Force Sails.  How do you rig this sail on a 23-3?  Any suggestions.

Thanks and pleasant sailing

Roger

Craig Weis

RogerDodger
If you look on the foot of the sail, Johnson Sail usually has written the % size of the head sail. Mine says 155% about 4 " off the mast/boom intersection, goouse neck, port side. So it's about 55% past the mast. And yes this head sail has a clew right even with my sliding hatch and drop board. At times it is a pain to get around the mast. In light winds.

I do fly a asymmetrical spinnaker. The tack to the bow pulpit, the clew on a line to the stern cleat and no pole. Though I have been thinking about a pole. It is a star~cut, SailEast chute and came with a chute sock for easy handling. I do have a separate haulyard and pulley on my C-P 19 masthead. skip

pchupik

RD

Sounds like you are in the exact same situation as me.  New owner, original sails (110% and 150% headsail with a great asym spinnaker)  Make sure the spinnaker sheets are Outside the headstay (unlike a jib) so when you jibe, the spinnnaker goes outside the headstay.

I am looking to buy a new heasail, and thought that because of the varying conditions where a I sail (Lake Dillon, CO) a roller reefing headsail might be in order.   Have you considered that? 

Anyone else have suggestions? 

If I were to BUy new sails anyone have some good recomendations?

Phil

rmonsma

Hi Phil,

I think for our first season with the boat we will not make any sail purchases.  I want to get used to the boat and get a feel how she handles in different wind conditions on lake Michigan.  On Memorial Day I had a chance to try out the asymmetrical Spinnaker and it was a blast not to mention it looks cool.  My sail, like most is very colorful.  It did  take a bit of experimenting to get everything right.  The sail was not marked and I had to raise it twice till I figured out what was the head, tack and clew of the sail.  When we finally figured it out it worked beautifully. I'm glad to have this sail.  I think a new main sail and a larger genoa   would be nice.  My 110% is good but for a bit lighter air larger would be better.

I did make the mistake of running one of the sheet wrong.  Oh well...

Roger

pchupik

Great! We sailed this weekend too and are shaking her out as well.  great boat in my opinion. Ours needs a little tweaking, but otherwise she is in good condition for a 1979!

mike gartland

I have what appear to be the original sails on my 1989 CP-23....a main and 155 genoa, made by Johnson Sails.  The genoa is installled on a CDI roller furler.  In my opinion, the 155 is a little too large for the boat...not in terms of overpowering the boat...but in terms of folding over against the spreaders when fully unfurled.  As a consequence, i sail with it partially furled nearly all the time with the accompanying poor shape of a partially furled genoa.  My preference would be to have a 110 or possibly 135 which could be sailed fully unfurled (and properly shaped).  I plan to add a 110 to my inventory sometime in the near future.

Mike
Mike23

edbuchanan

Molly has 4 sails: yankee, lapper, drifter and main.  The yankee is our heavy weather sail, useful from 18kts to at least 28 kts.  It has a very high cut foot and a pendant on the tack, supposedly to allow waves to sweep the deck without catching the sail.  The lapper is the workhorse jib.  We also have a drifter, a lightair sail used from 2-7kts.  It is made of spinnaker cloth, has a 20' (?) long foot and can be used just like a normal jib for close hauled work.  The main has two reefs, the first designed to balance the rig with the yankee, the second is a so called "yikes!" reef for doomsday.  So far the second reef has never been used.  Both sails were made by JSI in Florida.

Ernie (Molly 23/II 1984)