a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Changed centerboard pennant...

Started by Bruce Woods, September 13, 2004, 08:28:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce Woods

I had a frayed area that was getting worse, so got new line and put in new pennant. Long story...

Now, the new line is slightly bigger. I got 1/4 and probably should have got 3/16...so getting new cleat because old one doesn't work well.

Decided to get the horn cleats instead of the clam type, and that means....going to have some obvious screw holes to fill in the teak block. Haven't found any plastic teak in town (Raleigh) so I got some teak plugs and will sand off the block, drill out the exposed holes, put some goo on the plugs and put them in...

Over a beer I will tell the long story...

Suncat Trekka

Was it difficult to replaced the pennant?

Bruce Woods

It was kind of involved; here is what I did:

I taped a small starter line to the old pennant with board up...lowered it till it hit bottom (was in 3 feet of water)...friend went down and pulled starter line while I taped new line to it...so we had 3 lines in the chute: original, starter line, and new pennant.

When new pennant was in, I went down, cut old line and got it out...then tried to put new line in that shackle-gizmo that is surprisingly hard to deal with.

Had to move to 5 feet of water to let board all the way down because the board was always slicing into the bottom mud and fouling that shackle.

Got shackle free, and in 3 or 4 dives, hit upon the way to get new line in from stern side of the shackle. Couldn't really see any detail at Jordan because the water is translucent, but not clear.

Got line in, and then in 2 dives got knot tied...

Pulled starter line out from cockpit. And as the Brits say, "Bob's your uncle."