a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Holy Smokes! You're Still Alive Day

Started by Tim Gardner, August 26, 2024, 08:15:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim Gardner

Many of us have special days: Birthdays, Anniversaries, and Special Holidays.  The Gardner Family of SML has another: Pirate Day!

But the most important for us is "Holy Smokes! You're Still Alive Day".  This day was established 9 years ago at 6:45 AM when Vicki (The Admiral) was shot by a deranged former employee of TV Station WDBJ 7, who, that morning, also took the young lives of Alison Parker and Adam Ward.

I wake each morning to thank the Lord that I and our extended family still have Vicki to talk to, laugh with, and love. Vicki has taken time to heal, and still has medical issues related to that event.  She has taken steps to heal her mind by writing a book - her account of that day and the intervening years of survival. Her lingering sadness for the loss of Alison and Adam, her bumpy road to physical recovery and her ability to find humor in the everyday things of life burst from the pages she has written to help heal herself.

That morning was traumatic to our family and to our many friends here at SML.  You, the ones we know and the very many we did not know helped deliver us from stunned disbelief, to pacing worry, through days spent in the ICU, to finally relief when her survival was certain.  Time spent at home and in the hospital by our daughters Jacqui and Erin saw us both through that horrible time. I can't thank our girls enough for their love for us. Many friends from around the lake extended help from moving furniture for Vicki's recovery bedroom to painting the same room sunflower yellow to brighten her stay in that room.

Thousands of people here at Smith Mountain Lake and around the region and really, most of the nation,  sent prayers for Vicki and our family to the ears of God. Thank you, He saved Vicki.

Have a Blessed "Holy Smokes You're Still  Alive Day"

Vpic.jpg
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

Christopher

Tim,
  So happy for you and your family! 

brackish

Tim, missed this on the first pass.  That picture is inspiring for those of us who know the story.  So happy that is where you are with this.

On this morning, for me it is "hope I don't have to drag that fogger out again" day, regarding Helene.;)

crazycarl

Somehow I missed this too. 9 years already? Wow. Vickie has had an incredible journey fighting through her recovery. God bless her.
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

kickingbug2

bless you vicky, dmned special gal to be sure

5monkeys

I wonder where this post was hiding that we all missed it.
Tim,
I'm so glad that in spite of the horrid events of that day, you have still have and appreciate one another.
I ask for continued blessings for the Gardner Family.

Keith
Keith

5monkeys
1982 Com-pac 19-Napoli
1981 Coronado 15--Sold
Herndon VA 20170