a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Nice Sail Today

Started by crazycarl, August 01, 2024, 05:19:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazycarl

I finally completed the repairs to the 19 and launched her yesterday. After mowing the lawn this afternoon we slipped away from the dock and headed down the creek to the mighty Neuse. The river had small whitecaps and the 10mph wind felt much heavier. After about an hour I decided to bring the genny in some and I felt the increase in control immediately. The 107* heat index was beginning to get to me and in 90 minutes I drank both quarts of water I brought along.  The s/w wind drove us under the bridge and we headed back up the creek close hauled.  Two large motor yachts were anchored in the creek just outside our cove so I had to tack several times to get past them.  My intention was to continue on up Greens creek and the head for home wing on wing, but as we worked our way up, dark clouds appeared over our neighborhood.  I kept going thinking if the rain comes it will cool me off and if a storm comes I can seek shelter in another cove, but then the thunder started and I figured with my bad luck a bolt of lightening would find Miss Adventure's mast too appealing.  So wing on wing we sped into our little cove.  I furled the genny, lowered the o/b and started it up.  Sitting on the port side to operate the outboard, the main sheet tangled with the tiller and I couldn't get it over all the way.  We hit the cement dock bow first. OUCH!  My second try I used too much throttle and we blew past the dock.  Finally I positioned the boat so the wind, now increased substantially, would drive the boat into the dock.  Which it did, quite nicely in fact.  I would have proud of that if I hadn't messed up twice already. I doused the main and was securing the sail ties when I noticed the "storm" had already passed.  Oh well, I left the cover off so I can go out again after dinner.

My goal is to sail her everyday. Weather and wife permitting.   
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

crazycarl

Went back out after dinner. Now there are 3 motor yachts in the creek. The latest has 2 sailboats rafted up to it.  They're anchored dead center so I had to tack several times to get around them.  All the boats have dinghies on davits so I couldn't see where they hail from.  Sailed up the creek until the wind died out and the mosquitoes came to feed.  Started heading back at a whopping .7 knots!  Cruised into our cove when the wind rose up and pushed us past the dock.  I had to start the o/b to get back.

Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"