a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Midship cleats on a 23?

Started by DanB 23, April 23, 2024, 09:59:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanB 23

We are commissioning our new 23D and I am used to and enjoy the safety a midship cleat. I am curious if others have added a pair and if so where and what kind? I am going to use the stanchion base for now but prefer something real. Looking at google I see that the cleats "should be inboard of the toe rails at the midpoint of the sailboat's length at the water line (LWL)." Hmm, ok I will see where that falls on the rail. I don't want to create something to stub my toe on too so I am considering a foldable cleat too.
--
1998 Compac 23D "Déjà Vu"
1968 Ericson 41 "Magic",
1986 Pearson 27 "Never Say Never"
"There is nothing – absolutely nothing – half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats" (Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows)

crazycarl

Not sure if a midship cleat is necessary on a 23' boat. I cleat the bow line to the aft dock cleat and the stern line to the forward dock cleat for my 19.  It works like a spring line. YMMV
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

Andre

Hi Dan

No familiarity with a 23, but on my Horizon Cat the previous owner had mounted one on the cabin top inboard of the grab rails. It should make for an easy installation. I haven't used it for docking (although I could), just re-purposed it for tying off my boom topping lift. It comes down the mast to a turning block and cabin top deck organizer then to the cleat.

Andre
PC & HC

Cpy23ecl

When I had my 23 I just used he jib sheet winch as a "cleat" for the spring line.

Fred

DanB 23

We will set aside the cleat idea and try some of these first.  Thanks!
--
1968 Ericson 41 "Magic",
"There is nothing – absolutely nothing – half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats" (Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows)

Al

Hi Dan,  I like your 'signature'.  I've used it for many yrs.
  I had the factory install midship cleats on my 20ft Horizon Cat, see pic.  One at the rail on both sides, one on the cabin top on stbd side.  They set the ones at the rail in a gap in the 'rail cap' which keeps it from being a toe breaker.
Al,  New Bern, NC    2021 Horizon Cat 'Petit Chat'
Previous - CP-16, CP-23, CP27, 28ft wooden cat
"There is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much
worth doing as simply messing about in boats"
Ratty, to Mole

Andre

A tiller !!!

I wish I had one !

Andre

DanB 23

Quote from: Al on May 03, 2024, 03:12:02 PMHi Dan,  I like your 'signature'.  I've used it for many yrs.
  I had the factory install midship cleats on my 20ft Horizon Cat, see pic.  One at the rail on both sides, one on the cabin top on stbd side.  They set the ones at the rail in a gap in the 'rail cap' which keeps it from being a toe breaker.
Those cleats look like they were intended for that location. Its hard to find a similar placement on the 23.  And I was looking for a Horizon Cat but everyone who has one tends to keep them!
--
1968 Ericson 41 "Magic",

Sealeggs

I just purchased a new CP-23 with midship cleats already installed by Hutchins.  I'm not sure how well you can see it in the photo, but it is located just aft of the aft lower shroud chainplate and fore of the first portlight.

Hope this helps.

DanF

I installed these on my jib tracks, all the way forward.  Have been very pleased with them as as midship cleats.  They were $70 less when I bought mine 3 years ago though! Even then they were pricey, now a little outrageous. https://defender.com/en_us/schaefer-stainless-steel-mid-rail-chock-cleat-6-1-2-long-70-74

DanB 23

Thanks DanF and Sealeggs, I've been using the base of the stanchion for now but I like both of these recent posts.  I think I will add one or another when I get her out of the water. 

Also does anyone else watch Miami boat ramp videos and yell at the screen for them to get a midship line when the bow or stern blows off the dock?
--
1968 Ericson 41 "Magic",