a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Sun Cat Hatch Venting

Started by dbybe, April 09, 2024, 11:39:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbybe

Thought there is a search function but cannot find it. I am interested in creating as much venting through my drop in hatch boards without having to create a second set of drop in boards. (For hot weather cruising). Anyone do anything like this or have suggestions?
Don B.
'09 Sun Cat
Sacramento California
(Sun Cat avatar to follow)

crazycarl

I have a small 5"x5" vent I installed on the drop board.  I placed screen behind it to keep out the mosquitoes.  I recently made new drop boards so the picture is not of the vent installed.  A solar vent in the bow will keep air flowing 24/7.

20240409_181609.jpg

Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

DanB 23

Here is similar hatch board venting on our CP23, and we have a day/night solar vent in the v-berth to draw air from the hatch. 
--
1998 Compac 23D "Déjà Vu"
1968 Ericson 41 "Magic",
1986 Pearson 27 "Never Say Never"
"There is nothing – absolutely nothing – half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats" (Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows)

oceanroadus

Hey Don,

Several years ago I made some screens for our Suncat that we used at night to keep the mosquitos out. The plywood was either 1/2 or 5/8 whatever fits in the hatch and I used poly screen. I gave them to the new owner when I sold the boat but I just used the measurements of the hatch boards. 
Sunday Cat "Tik Tik"

Previous boats: "Cherry Red" 14' sailing canoe, Suncat "Teala", Legacy "Santosha"