a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Upgrading to solar charging question

Started by BoatTreble, March 03, 2024, 08:15:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BoatTreble

Hey everyone.  I am getting close to pulling the trigger on installing a solar charging system on my CP 27 along with new house batteries.  I've been looking at systems by Renogy and the reviews I've found have been positive.  But before taking the plunge I wondered if anyone in this forum has any experience with them and their products.  Go for it's or stay the *&## away comments are good but followed with reasons is better.  My plan is to install two 200Ah deep cycle LiFePo batteries (for my house supply) with their a pair of their 200W solar panels, charge controller and battery monitor and a bus distribution set up rather than a mass of individual wires going everywhere.  As I am not quite sure just what my usage is going to be I am basing my choices on an estimate for my living aboard power needs and increasing that by about 25%.  If more is needed I can always add a second, isolated bank.

Any thoughts from the gallery?  Thanks in advance.

Al

crazycarl

Check out www.sailfar.net.  look at posts titled "an old girl friend just called".  Frank posts about his solar setup on his 24'r and how it keeps up with refrigeration.  He lives on it in the Caribbean during the winter months.  He also lived on a CP27.

Look at pages 13 or 14.  He describes the batteries he is presently using.
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

dbybe

I have used Renogy for a couple of projects and am happy with them. 100 watt Renogy flex panel on a small travel trailer.  This panel ran through a Trimetric charge controller, to a Battleborn 100ah battery. I also just completed a 50 watt panel, to a Renogy charge controller, to a Chinese Lifepo 50ah battery on my Sun Cat. I like Renogy support. The Chinese company, through Amazon, not so much.
Don B.
'09 Sun Cat
Sacramento California
(Sun Cat avatar to follow)