a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Fresh water tank access cover

Started by BoatTreble, February 20, 2024, 11:00:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BoatTreble

I was attempting to open the access cover (large trapezoidal piece screwed in as the base of the V berth) of my 1986 CP27.  I got all of the screws out but it seems that the cover is bedded into place as well.  Not sure what bedding material might have been used (it is white in color but thats all I know about it) but it seems to have a pretty secure hold on the thin piece of cover material.  I gently attempted to pry a small section up but quit before I damaged the cover piece.  I was thinking that perhaps heating it with a heat gun might soften the bedding material but not sure if it will do that or even if it might cause it to harden even more securely.

I am hoping someone might have some tips and advice to get this cover up without breaking it.  Thanks in advance!

Al

crazycarl

If 3M 5200 was used, you will need a special "anti-bond" spray.  Spray it on, cut off the softened 5200, repeat until it is all removed.  You'll have to slowly pry the board up and spray under it.  It will take time, but it can be done. 
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

MHardy

Very doubtful you can get it off with destroying it. I don't think it was intended to be removed, unless replacing. I replaced mine a few years ago. It was bedded with 5200. Getting the old cover off was the most difficult part of the job. The new one had two inspection ports.
Seagull II, 1987 CP 27
Seagull, 1983 CP 16
Washington, North Carolina

BoatTreble

Quote from: crazycarl on February 20, 2024, 11:36:42 PMIf 3M 5200 was used, you will need a special "anti-bond" spray.  Spray it on, cut off the softened 5200, repeat until it is all removed.  You'll have to slowly pry the board up and spray under it.  It will take time, but it can be done. 

Thank you!  I'll check into that.

Al

BoatTreble

Quote from: MHardy on February 21, 2024, 06:21:10 PMVery doubtful you can get it off with destroying it. I don't think it was intended to be removed, unless replacing. I replaced mine a few years ago. It was bedded with 5200. Getting the old cover off was the most difficult part of the job. The new one had two inspection ports.

Thank you!  I'll keep that in mind.  I really only wanted to get an eyeball on that space and the tank so getting under it isn't really necessary.  Food for thought.

Al

Cruzin

I would suggest not removing the lid unless it is to be replaced. Mine needed replacing and was taken out in small pieces, a very difficult process. If you replace it only purchase the replacement from Compac as it is well worth it. It must be assembled from 3 pieces in the vberth and is a load of fun. It also comes with an installed port hole with a screw in clear lid for cleaning and inspection. A one piece replacement lid will not fit into the cabin. Good luck just don't mess with it unless you are resealing or replacement.
" Some people never find it, some... only pretend,  but Me; I just want to live happily ever after, now and then."  Jimmy Buffett

deisher6

Cruzn pretty much said it all.  There should be some threads on water tank woes in the '27 section.
good luck.
regards charlie

redfishnc

Why are you removing it?  You can replace the small screw in hatch with the next size up and scrub with a short mop.  Unless it is leaking I would reconsider removal just to inspect.  They make that 8" hatch with a clear lense. 

BoatTreble

Quote from: redfishnc on March 10, 2024, 03:40:54 PMWhy are you removing it?  You can replace the small screw in hatch with the next size up and scrub with a short mop.  Unless it is leaking I would reconsider removal just to inspect.  They make that 8" hatch with a clear lense. 

Zoe doesn't have an inspection hatch or port in the cover.  Apparently this was a later upgrade Hutchins made with them sometime after her build in 1986.