a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Keeping Head to Wind When Dropping Sail

Started by dbybe, September 29, 2023, 05:30:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bruce

Yeah, at $179.40 each, and shipping won't be cheap, they look just fine.

Hey, you're part way to a garage package!
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Roland of Macatawa

dbybe, others:

An alternate anchor point for the control line of a Tiller Clutch:

For my SunDayCat, I have my Tiller Clutch control line anchored onto the boom cradle stanchions using 2 Nite-Ize aluminum CamJam cleats.
I purchased them at Menards, a mid-western HomeDepot-like store.
https://niteize.com/camjam-xt-aluminum-rope-tightener.

The jaw of the cleat is large enough to fit onto the stanchion.
The cam cleat allows tensioning of the line,
and also easy release of the line if the Tiller Clutch itself were to jam onto the line.

I located the TillerClutch onto the underside of the tiller experimentally, by clamping it at various positions until the preferred position was found.
Works well. Have no interest in redoing it differently.

Sorry, I cannot provide pictures today. I am 1000 miles away from my SunDayCat.

Regards, Roland

2012 Com-Pac Yachts SunDayCat, 'ZigZagZen'

bruce

Yeah, my priority was to have the tiller clutch trigger mounted on the forward end of the tiller where I could easily flick in with my finger as I steered. Further aft on the tiller I'm sure other options work out.

The boom gallows stanchions weren't an option for me, on a PC.

Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Jim in TC

When our SC came to us the Tillerlock was mounted on top of the tiller, which I found to be very un-handy. Happy to have it re-mounted on the underside.
Jim
2006 Sun Cat Mehitabel

bruce

The mounting-board approach worked fine for me, setting a fixed horizontal line and finding the spacing between attachment points that worked, but thinking about it further I might approach the problem a little differently.

To me, the critical thing is for the control line to remain equally tensioned throughout the tiller's range without having to reset the line. I would attach the clutch trigger where I wanted it on the tiller, temporarily with tape if I was unsure, insert the line in the clutch, center the tiller, and pull the port (P) and starboard (S) legs back symmetrically to where it looks good for attachment. Mark those points for reference. Measure from the attachment points to the clutch, these readings should be the same with the tiller centered. Record the sum of these two lengths. Now swing the tiller to port and check the P and S dimensions to the attachment points. Repeat to starboard. If the sum of P + S remains the same, then the control line will be equally tensioned throughout its range. Most likely you'll need to move the attachment points vertically and/or horizontally, I'd keep things symmetrical, until you find attachment points that work.

If the control line is loose at the stops, you'll have full range of the tiller, but the Tiller Clutch won't be effective at the margins. Since you'll mostly be using the Tiller Clutch within 10-15º of amidships this may not matter much. If the line tightens as you approach the stops your tiller range may be restricted whether or not the Tiller Clutch is engaged, best avoided.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Bub

Quote from: bruce on October 05, 2023, 06:20:33 AMGood idea, Bub, takes care of the coaming curve. If you get a chance, what's the distance between the fairleads, and a relative position vertically in relation to the tiller. Save others from having to experiment.

I suspect there is some variation possible, and it doesn't have to be super precise. But, in my photo it looks like the boom gallows stanchion is roughly in line with my control line, with the tiller centered, but as an attachment point it didn't work at all.

Bub

I'll measure and get it back to you. I assume by "vertical" you want a measurement of the fairlead distance aft of the point on the coaming which is on a 90 degree line from the tiller when centered?
I can do that. Also can measure the entire distance along the coaming from the port to the starboard fairlead. I can also take a picture if I can figure out how to attach it to my next reply. Bub

bruce

By vertical I just was looking for a rough vertical height of the fairleads relative to the tiller. The distance down from the top of the coaming would work. I assume they are the same, port and starboard.

The horizontal distance between the fairleads, straight across, is what I was thinking. With the tiller centered, and the horizontal dimension split 50/50 port and starboard, where a line of that dimension lands (90º to the tiller) will position the fairleads for someone trying to reproduce your set up. An idea where this set-up line crosses the tiller could be helpful as well.

Once potential attachment points are established, I would encourage the installer to verify that the actual control line attached here would allow for constant tension throughout the swing of the tiller before drilling holes. Temporarily fixing the line with duct tape to the coaming should work.

With the new forum set up, click on highlighted Reply button under the previous post to get a window that you can drag your photo to. The Quick Reply option automatically displayed doesn't give you a chance to attach a photo unless it's hosted elsewhere.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Bub

I will work on this in the next day or so. At this point my pix will be iPad or iPhone and I can't figure out how to move them from my photo albums to this Forum.
I welcome any suggestion but if it can't be done I'll just do the measurements and send them in narrative form.

bruce

Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Bub

Quote from: bruce on October 16, 2023, 03:54:35 PMBub, I sent you a PM.

I have the pix and measurements, but where is the pm?

Bub

Found the PM and have emailed info and pix on my installation

bruce

Here's the info Bub sent, thanks!

"Tiller, cam cleat and stanchion relationship. Tiller center when centered is abt 31" from outside of coaming.

Blue dot is the point 90 degrees perpendicular to tiller centered midship, although the pix is deceiving. Blue Dot is 12" fwd of center of port side cam cleat. Or stated more clearly the cleat is 12" aft of the 90 degree line from the Tiller. On my boat the aft end of the clutch body is 11" from the tip of the tiller. The forward end of the clutch lever is 5.5" from the tip of the tiller.

Close up of port cam cleat

Starboard cam cleat. Distance between cleats measured along the Coaming is 54".

Hope this helps. Works great as long as line is small enuf to run free thru Clutch body without friction. I've used it when raising and lowering sails and also under sail when something got hung up out of reach of the tiller even when my Ronstan adjustable extension was fully out."
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Bub

Bub

Just a final post on this conversation. For various reasons I have recently decided to sell my SunDay Cat. I have loved sailing her and especially found the cpyoa forum and those who share their expertise extremely helpful.

If you know anyone who might be interested in a great boat, the listing can be found on the website of Snug Harbor Boats located at Lake Lanier in the Atlanta metro area.

Best wishes to all for fair winds and smooth sailing!!  Bub