Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Mast width.

Started by Paul HD, May 31, 2023, 05:07:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul HD

Hi All,

I want to add a bail about 7 foot up the mast, would any of you have the width dimension of the mast?

Edit:  I should of mentioned that I have only just bought the 23 and she is a 4 hour drive away until I get her shipped to local waters. So I want to get all the parts together to make a mast raising system like the one that forum member Brackish uses.

Regards,
Paul.

Bob23

Hi Paul and welcome to the group! I have a section of mast from my 1985 23/2 and it's 2 3/4 inches wide. Years ago I made a composite pad for the mast to sit on so I cut a 3/4" sliver which I still have. Hope this helps. By the way, where will you be sailing?
Bob23

Paul HD

Hi Bob,

Thank you for the welcome and great to get the mast size.

I will be keeping the 23D on the river Thames for a little while so I can work on her. So not much sailing as the river is fairly narrow and too many bridges.

I am hoping to get her transported by road on the 19th and can't wait to get the 23 cleaned up and engine checked. She has been on the hard for 3 years and needs a little TLC.

All the best,
Paul.

Bob23

Best to you Paul. I'm on the other side of the pond.. New Jersey. Great sailing on the Barnegat Bay and if you ever find yourself out here, let me know-we'll go for a sail!

A friend and fellow member here installed a really useful hinged tabernacle on his 23 to allow easy lowering and raising of the mast with a ginpole. I've been meaning to do the same but it never made it to my "list".
Bob23

Paul HD

Thanks Bob and a I will return that offer if you are ever here in the UK. :)

I have seen Frank's (Brackish) version of mast stepping, which I do like. Is that the same one?

Cheers,
Paul.

Bob23

Thanks Paul. I've visited England twice but not recently. We saw Stonehenge before it was fenced off.
I'm not familiar with Brackish's system.... I'll look it up here on the forum.
Do you guys sail on the right side of the river??  :D  It took me a while to get used to driving on the right; a little trickier learning to shift the manual trans with my left hand!
Best,
Bob23

Paul HD

Quote from: Bob23 on June 03, 2023, 02:43:05 PM

Do you guys sail on the right side of the river??  :D 
Bob23

We do, port to port :)

brackish

Hey Paul,

Left an answer to your PM, I'm home now, yes it is 2.75" if you want more detail on the mast, google Dwyer Aluminum Mast co. and the mast on your boat is a DM-450.  If I can find the specific bail I used in my files, I'll post it later.  Good luck and if you have questions about the system be sure to post or PM me.  Here is a link to a number of pics of the system set up for use.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/iq8o9V4p2eysdmLE9

EDIT: The bail I used is a Ronstan Marine RF 1046

And ignore Bob 23 when he tries to extort an entrance fee to this forum by threatening to dispatch his Jersey Mafia family.  We just humor him when he gets like that.

Had a chance to go to Cornwall later this summer, my niece had arranged a VRBO swap with her house in Nashville, TN, but unfortunately had a conflict and can't go.

Paul HD

Hi Frank,

Thank you for the extra pictures, great to see those close up shots. I will do a search for the Ronstan bail.

I think I have got away with the entrance fee. 😄👍🏻

Shame about Cornwall, a lovely part of the UK.

Thank you Frank for all your help mate.👍🏻

Kind regards,
Paul. ⛵️

Paul HD

I have raised the mast at long last. I used the Brackish system and all went well.
I used an old wooden mast cut down for the pole. I have not got around to attaching a bail so I used a strap which did a good job.

I will be having a new foot made which will be made longer so I can just attach the pole.

Paul HD

Here is the Mk1 foot for the mast raising pole. I will add two plates to extend a little so there is no chance of side movement.

I have used a mast from a Mirror dinghy that I had lying around, had to chop a few feet off. I have cut the pole in half for easier storage. I now screw it together with M10 bolt, it works well.
You can see the join just under the winch.

Due to where I have the boat the mast will be down for a little while, so I made 4 uprights to keep the furler away from the mast. I think it looks neater too. I will also make something to hold the mast at the bow. I need to give the mast and furler a good scrub. :)

brackish

Very nice indeed.  Base looks stable for sure.  Like the furler standoffs, good for avoiding twist of the foil.  Is that a CDI furler, looks more substantial twist a big problem with CDI's. I guess the shape of the mast, oval in nature will keep the standoffs from turning, so OK for travel? What holds the mast aft?

Paul HD

Quote from: brackish on September 08, 2023, 12:31:41 PM
Very nice indeed.  Base looks stable for sure.  Like the furler standoffs, good for avoiding twist of the foil.  Is that a CDI furler, looks more substantial twist a big problem with CDI's. I guess the shape of the mast, oval in nature will keep the standoffs from turning, so OK for travel? What holds the mast aft?

Thanks brackish.

Each stand off has a bungee holding it down tight to the mast. I had a three hour cruise to test the engine and all was well. The Thames is a pretty smooth ride.

Not sure what type of furler I have.

At the moment I am using a telescopic post that has a U shape holder. It works well but I may change this. I do like the look of the mast crutch they use on the smaller Compac, looks like a curved piece of wood on stainless tube. Looks more traditional.

Paul HD

Quote from: brackish on September 08, 2023, 12:31:41 PM
Is that a CDI furler, looks more substantial twist a big problem with CDI's.

Had a look today. It says Rotostay IV