a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Eclipse setup

Started by jmh123, May 08, 2007, 10:41:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmh123

We have a new Eclipse that we will keep in a slip and plan to "camp" on board for 3-4 days at a time. (Just the two of us.) We have done this before with another 22' sailboat, and found a number of things that worked quite well for that boat. But rather than re-inventing the wheel, I wondered what other Eclipse owners have come up with for:

* Locations to mount extinguisher, stereo, etc.

* How do you use the under v-berth storage? the central location under the "table"? A real handy spot for...?

* If you sleep in the V berth, do you cover the mast stub?

All your ideas, observations, discoveries would be welcomed!

Thanks,
John

hazelscamp

John, welcome to the fleet of Eclipse owners.   I don't have any suggestions for your setup as I am still trying to figure out how to do it myself.   I keep the fire extingisher under the step.  I have added pads of high density foam under the quarter deck bunk cushions and a couple of suction cup mounted fans inside the cabin for the hot Florida days. 

I'm looking forward to reading the replies to your topic and I'm sure everyone will benefit.

Enjoy the spring.

norm

Craig Weis

Well I have a C-P 19 and one of my two fire extinguishers is mounted on the overhead port side by using two of the screws that hold the outside teak wood companionway slider thingy in place. I can grab it from inside the boat or from the cockpit, providing the drop boards [I cut my drop board into two pieces on a 45 deg angle to ward off rain, for partical ventallation, and low sun penatration from the stern, and for better storage and I could place the low unit in place or hang just the top unit from the latch on the sliding hatch.]

Don't drill any new holes. I won't keep a fire extinguisher under the cabin steps 'cause you can't get to it fast enough. My other extinguisher is mounted under the cockpit settee seat, port side at the foot of the birth.

Vee-birth storage is a new 16" x 16" hole [on a '19'] just behind the compression post. It is a jig saw cut out with a 1/4 " overlap around the hole. This forms a ledge plywood surround mounted from the bottom of the vee birth wood; clamped, gluewed, and screwed from the top. When set, breakoff the extra screw length and a little filing so as to not to snag any material going in the new storage place.
Oh I did have to clean up a little foam for a sharp edge down to the hull. I store line, sleeping bag, water, extra life jackets, and food, plus this is access for the Rayaton Bi-Data-40 thru hull unit sensors.
There is no room under the quarter berths for anything. I cut a hole to look.

The radio is mounted up under the glass lip of the cabin next to the companionway opening, near the drop board really. I just used perferrated metal strap to form a holder and bolted it into place with a rubber surround the unit so it can't rattle. You can't see the holder I made unless you lay on your back and skinny under the cabin lip.
The two speakers are mounted vertical between [in the storage cubby holes] the wall below the vee birth and the top of the quarter berths. Wired so there is no front or back but just left and right. Am/Fm CD with the antenna using the same antenna as the two way radio. Shakespeer has an adapter for this. Really slick. One coaxale, two different radios at the same time. The antenna is at the top of the mast with a wire run inside the mast through the cabin top using a coaxial fitting, down the compression post [fwd side] and snaked unseen to the back of the radio.

My two way radio is mounted like the overhead fire extinguisher but on the starboard with hidden wires and coaxial cable. Enjoy the boat skip.

ERIN NEMEC

I am inquiring about the mast raising and lowering on the Eclipse...would you say that it is an easy one-person job?

Craig Weis

Yea, for solo sailing I think THAT is the reason for the 'Mast Tender System'. Easy up and easy down. Well I actually raised and lowered the mast on a SunCat at the All Sail Boat Show in Chicago at Navy Pier. It was great fun as I was under the watchful eye of Mr. Rich Hutchins himself. Well it all worked well. skip.

hazelscamp

I'll second Skip's reply.    Com-Pac's mast system works well and with a little care, lowering the mast can be completed on the water, allowing for passing under low bridges.   It's impressive how many marinas are located just past that bridge with the 8' clearance and are now reachable by Eclipse.