Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Anchors

Started by deisher6, March 17, 2023, 10:14:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deisher6

Hey Sailor(s)!
You all might have to forgive me, I am in the last day or so on isolation from about with COVID.  As I was reading Deadrise's thread on anchoring I cannot seem to help but to pass along a interesting anchor fact.

When we purchased our current Windrunner, it came with a great deal of gear, charts, books, and charts.  Also a bunch of ground tackle: 400 ft of chain, over 700ft of 3/4 inch line, a Northill,  CQR, Bruce, sea plane, and Danforth anchors.  Not that the PO was paranoid, we have never met him, but he was prepared. There were also a JVS drogue and parachute type drogue.  I digress.

There were also a fair amount of books.  Among them was a slim Readers Digest size book on the history of anchors.  It talked about the CQR anchor as being developed by a couple of engineers in California around 1930 or so originally as a sea plane anchor since it could be stowed in parts.  The book went on to explain what CQR stands for!    (here it comes)  SECURE  You have to say it slowly.

I was blown away.  Although I have used Bruce anchors since the 1980's, I have wondered what CQR stood for.  Now I know.

regards charlie

wes

Yes, but what does "Bruce" stand for? :)
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

Andre

Bruce is the name of the anchor's designer, originally intended for very arge anchors for oil drilling platforms.