a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

1997 Com-Pac 23 D

Started by BobK, December 06, 2022, 01:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BobK

I could not find the classified section so I am posting it here.  My wife won't let me own 2 Com Pac's at the same time so I thought to bring this to the group's attention.   https://www.curtisstokes.net/sloop-for-sale-com-pac-23-son-light-2788930.html

BobK

Bob23

Just tell you wife- One wife, many boats. I tried that. No, it didn't work for me either.
A nice boat with potential and if I didn't love my 1982 23/2 (outboard) I'd be very interested.
Bob23

moonlight

My wife has accepted that between us, and the 5 kids, there is a boat for each of us (and a spare) if we count the canoes but not the inflatables.  And one of my son's (the 20yo smart one) noted last night there was a four wheeled vehicle for each of us, if we count the non-running 1994 factory diesel YUKON.  Three kids don't drive yet, so I'm ahead of the curve there.  But two-1/2 work trucks, the family van, a family knock about Subaru (primarily 18yo's car for school, but wife and I use it for grocery and pleasure runs), and the 20yo's own 2005 Porsche Cayenne (that he had to buy! But hey, it's a Porsche).  He got it for $4k, it is comfortable, climate controls (and heated seats) are great; but he hates that it guzzles gas (warned ya, m'boy!) AND that it ticks worse than a rolled over Timex.  Told him when he bought it last Jan/Feb - go straight to PetsMart for a flea collar.  He said, why?  I said, it's got TICKS.  Compression good, injectors and plugs replaced, coils swapped around; port bank of plugs all foul out on oil while starboard bank fine.  But he's driven it a YEAR and it won't give up.  Oh to be young again.  After all, he can always say his first car was a Porsche!

Bob23

Have you done a standard compression test or a running compression test? I don't know how to do the later, but I hear it's much more comprehensive than a standard one, the kind that I can do in my driveway on either of 3 Toyota's, totaling nearly 900,000 miles and 72 years old. In it for the long haul!
Bob23

moonlight

Bob, if you're asking about the Porsche regarding compression test: it's the static test you run in the driveway.  Only way to do it that I know of.  Pull all the plugs (to eliminate cross-head data contamination), test each individually (crank the engine over about 10 seconds).
And since it's a Porsche, at the end you need to clear all the codes it stored for not seeing the coils you unplugged.

Best I can figure is either a sloppy timing chain (unlikely given circumstances) or head with completely blown out valve stem seals.  Thus, oil fouled plugs, lots of oil smoke at startup that dissipates with running, and it chews through a quart every 300-500 miles. 

Taking the thread further off track, I had an old Silverado almost as bad; rear main and timing cover gaskets on it leaked so bad it consumed a quart every 500.  We ran it 10 years on "used oil" from "hardly used boat oil changes" I do for customers, and changed that filter ever 10,000 miles.  It ran over 10 years like that until one day it spontaneously lost oil pressure (the Silverado did).  It was near 300,000 (which is what we were going for); I hear that Chevy 6.0 gas burner would lose the o-ring at the top of the oil pump pickup tube; so that was the likely cause.  Never found out; pulled the engine for rebuild, took it to the machine shop, and then Hurricane IDA flooded the chassis/cab.  Was fully insured so the insurance company asked me to return the engine to the bed and hauled it away :-(.

Back to the Porsche, it's really got to be the valve stem seals.  It'll turn up to 6000rpm and nothing shakes loose, so while I guess it could be timing chain guides; I dunno.  It runs, and we're doing a home addition, and working and schooling, so just haven't thrown the 40+ hours they say a head job on that Porsche will take.

Tim Gardner

One needs a head job just to own one of those high priced VWs. :>)
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

brackish

Quote from: Bob23 on January 12, 2023, 05:52:38 AM
Have you done a standard compression test or a running compression test? I don't know how to do the later, but I hear it's much more comprehensive than a standard one, the kind that I can do in my driveway on either of 3 Toyota's, totaling nearly 900,000 miles and 72 years old. In it for the long haul!
Bob23

With the exception of the merits of PBR and any obligation I have regarding an extortion fee considered delinquent, we agree on much.  Yesterday, my Tacoma double cab, long bed Prerunner turned 16.  At the end of this month I turn 76.  I was asked by a friend why I don't treat myself to a new truck for my birthday.  The truck has never been down a day in its life, never been in any shop for any purpose.  It does not use oil and while it is considered low mileage, it has not been babied.  For instance it made 20 ea. 1000 mile round trips to Florida more often than not loaded well over capacity with tools and materials to do a hurricane rebuild.  I change the full synthetic oil every 10,000 miles or year whichever comes first.  The transmission fluid has never been changed, I don't believe in it for these modern sealed trans. I did buy it a birthday present, some nice new rotors and high quality ceramic pads.  When installing, I was amazed at how well the calipers and other brake components looked.  Also cleaned the Borla intake system, and sprung for a set of iridium plugs.

A new a truck..... blasphemy.  I'm pretty sure it can go another 16 years, just not so sure about me.

Bob23

Brack: I see that aside from your lack of taste in fine beers, we're on the same page. My 2001 Tundra will turn 22 years old in April. Just turned 365,000 miles and runs like a clock, although some might say I'm ticking a little slow these days. I'm planning on 400,000 miles then I'll still drive it some more! I routinely take trips to New England for various rowing races.... Mr. Green has never missed a beat!                                                                                                                                                                                   

Tim Gardner

I too sport an older truck. In fact it's 20 years old.  340,000+ miles.  It did need a transmission rebuild at 300K.  Likely from the many 4 wheel drives up and down to my lighthouse marina.  She's a 2003 Ford Sport Trac that's pulled her max (and over) tow-able weight for probably 100k of those miles.   The rebuild was 1.6 boat units.  Only 4 of her original payments that ended 16 years ago.
TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.