a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Heading South

Started by alsantini, October 26, 2022, 12:50:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsantini

Well, the boat/trailer is ready, or at least as ready as it can be.  I replaced the fenders and guideposts on the trailer this fall.  The salt water really did a number on the brackets for the guideposts.  New ones are supposed to be stainless but don't look like it.  Next time Off The Wind is dunked it will be at the Venice Train Station boat ramp in Venice Florida sometime first or second week of Nov.  If any of you get down to FL over the winter and want to go sailing - PM me.  Will not be in FL in Dec, but November, Jan-April 10 or so, I am always looking to sail especially with a fellow Eclipse owner.  Sail On....  Al

crazycarl

Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

Fastdoc98

Hope the trip is uneventful!  Not going to lie, a little more than jealous.  I thought I would have more time near the end of the season here but with work and kids the boat never got wet after Door County.  I still have to send my mast hinge to ComPac for repair/straightening after my teeth-jarring ride up to Wisconsin broke the tab off the front; I was thinking I need to call them and make sure everything is all good down there after the hurricane.

Windjammer1

waterwheels

What a warm invitation.  8). Have a great winter sailing.

I'll be up in cold Ontario snowshoeing :'(

Don

Cpy23ecl

Have a safe trip and enjoy the extra sailing time! 

Just curious, what trailer guides did you use.  This fall was the first time I pulled the boat myself and managed to scrape thru the barrier coat when the keel missed the keel guides and went along the outside of the keel guide brackets. 

Normally I have the boat yard lift the boat and pressure wash the bottom before the set the boat on the trailer, but this year I had the boat in northern lake huron instead of southern lake mich.  The water is so much cleaner up there that I had no growth to clean off the bottom plus the fact that there's no boat yard within 20 miles of the dock.

Fred

alsantini

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09YM3T6XW?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details 
Bought the above set from Amazon.  Not sure where the original set was from.  They were on the boat when I bought it.  The bars that connect to the frame of the trailer just disappeared from saltwater dunking.  This Fall, I hit the left one with the boat and it cracked in half.  Oh well.  A boat is a hole in the water into which you throw money.  LOL.  They look decent and I assume will do their intended job.  Sail on,   Al

rogerschwake

Al, think about swinging down through IOWA and pick me up. I'll start packing my sea bag.

ROGER

Seachelle

Quote from: rogerschwake on October 27, 2022, 09:02:29 PM
  Al, think about swinging down through IOWA and pick me up. I'll start packing my sea bag.

ROGER

Roger, from what area in Iowa do you hail? I'm in Iowa, too!  :)

Al, safe travels and I'll be diving into your books as part of getting my sailing fix this winter!

Fair winds,
~ Chelle
SV Sunflower (Sunny) | 2021 Com-Pac Legacy
SV No Mas! | 1990 Com-Pac 23D MK3
https://passagesfromtheheart.wordpress.com

Cpy23ecl

Quote from: alsantini on October 27, 2022, 10:09:32 AM
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09YM3T6XW?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details 
Bought the above set from Amazon.  Not sure where the original set was from.

Thanks Al, I'll have to add a set before haul-out next year.

Fred

BobK

Al,
If you get near Mobile Bay I can take you out for a sail on my 27.
Bob

alsantini

Arrived early this week.  Boat traveled really well, and I had no problems.  Found our park model to also be in good shape.  Pulled the bike (folding recumbent) out of the boat yesterday so today I will begin setting her up for sailing.  Have to first get outboard out of the truck mounted and locked to boat.  Then a wash job since it is covered in road crap.  Then, sails, shrouds, anchor, bimini.  I am tired just thinking about it but sailing next week will be the reward.  Thanks for everyone's wishes for safe travels.  Sail On everyone - Al

crazycarl

Glad to hear you made it safely down.  I've been watching all the boats come and go here.  This is the second wave of snowbirds heading south.  I met two couples that are headed to Belize.  Man I wish I could sail away like that.  Joan has said once we are settle in the new house I have her blessing to go.  So maybe next winter I can sail on down to the keys.
Go out today with another Oriental "newbie".  He hasn't sailed in years so there will be two knuckleheads aboard.  :o

Seachelle

Thanks for letting us know you arrived AOK, Al -- yes, the reward of sailing is soon to be yours! I'm ashamed to admit that I'm a bit jealous you get to go sailing and I'll have to wait, mostly likely, another 5 months before I get out on the water! ;) Please keep us posted on your adventures so that we may live vicariously through you! :)

Carl, I share your sentiments on being able to just sail away -- what are the conditions like there, now, in Oriental? Thought sailing was doable year 'round in your neck of the woods?

Fair winds,
~ Chelle
SV Sunflower (Sunny) | 2021 Com-Pac Legacy
SV No Mas! | 1990 Com-Pac 23D MK3
https://passagesfromtheheart.wordpress.com

crazycarl

Chelle,
Yes, sailing year round is doable.  Sailed today for about 6 hours.  Had rain on and off, but it didn't keep us from enjoying the day.  We were rewarded with a beautiful rainbow too!

The stuffing box needs repacking, so the boat will be pulled.  While out, I may as well put a new coat of bottom paint on.