a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Painting your Com-PAC’s Hull

Started by Seachelle, September 29, 2022, 06:59:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

USMCR O-5

Alexseal is pretty easy to use and quite forgiving. I applied all the coats except for the last one in my driveway. You just need the right temperature of between 60 and 80 degrees and less than 60% humidity.
Retired USMC
Retired NYPD
Florida RE/MAX Realtor
Life is good...

Jim in TC

The Alexseal paint job is indeed spectacular. Our Pettit would never aspire to that (nor would it be expected). But it still looks pretty good, enough for our interests...
Jim
2006 Sun Cat Mehitabel

crazycarl

I'm sanding the 19 again.  Starting with 320, 600, then finishing with 1200 grit.  I'm getting all the large areas before i remove the stern ladder, motor mount, rudder mount, bow U-bolt, chain plates.  I love crawling into the stern of the cockpit lockers to remove those items on the transom.  If she doesn't shine after using Alexseal, I'll primer her and name her Ugly Duckling.
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

bruce

600 and 1200 are overkill. The application guide shows sanding to 400 before spray or brushing, p. 42. The paint will cover finer scratches, sanding finer before coats won't improve gloss.
https://www.alexseal.com/fileadmin/user_upload/Alexseal/Downloads/ALXS_app_guide_1_2_1_WEB.pdf
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

USMCR O-5

180 then 400 grit sandpaper is perfect for applying the paint. I color sanded (wet 1000 and 1500 grit) then cut/buffed with 3M Perfect-It. https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/collision-repair-us/featured-products/perfect-it/
That's the great thing about Alexseal. Color sanding, cutting and buffing are not a problem.
Retired USMC
Retired NYPD
Florida RE/MAX Realtor
Life is good...

bruce

Leveling with 180 grit should go fast. Big jump to 400 grit, I was thinking 220 to 400, maybe 280 to 400. I see that they also recommend you can stop at 320 as well. Thanks for your sharing your experience!

Something else that may come up that wouldn't be expected. There are different sandpaper grit scales that can be confused, specifically ANSI and P. For coarser grits it doesn't matter, 180 grit is the same as P180 grit. But in finer grits the scales diverge markedly. ANSI 600 grit is equivalent to P1000-1200, for example. That could drive you crazy if you randomly changed scales when rubbing out the paint!

https://help.summitracing.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5312/~/whats-the-difference-between-sanding-grits%3F
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Viking

I'm researching this subject because after I fix hull damage on my CPY-19-2, I figure I will have to paint even though I really don't want to. I've done a lot of research on Awlgrip and am considering roll and tipping Oyster White for the hull (above WL of course) with Petite Vivid Dark Red bottom paint. Later, a sand/tan color on the non-skid areas. Then, I want to add a dark red strip on the sides. Love the gel coat but part of the PO repairs to the Starboard side storm damage was never faired correctly and the whole 3ft area has a dull look. Can't figure out how to get it to shine. Port side also needs massive scratches repaired. I doubt I can get it all to blend so I will probably have to paint. Any suggestions on getting the dull side shiny?