a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

electric motor

Started by jimbo, September 11, 2022, 11:53:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbo

Does anybody use an electric motor instead of an outboard?  Any advice on its' use?

bruce

Here's a current thread on electric motors, outboard and inboard. There's more, but this is a good overview. Any questions, ask away!
https://cpyoa.com/forum/index.php?topic=12286.0
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Jim in TC

Yup, quite a few of us with electrics, and also quite a few seasons of experience between us.
Jim
2006 Sun Cat Mehitabel

Renae

Buy one.  The normal volume conversations while motoring alone are worth the price of admission.  Enjoy not changing the oil, servicing your lower section.  Forget about bad gas.  Put up a solar panel or two to charge it.  As Gordon Gekko nearly said, ?Green is good.?

kickingbug1

yep i thought about electric once but looked at the price and considered how little i run the motor and concluded that i didnt need one. i did however get rid of that god awful mercury 4 hp 4 stroke vibrating ill tempered outboard. i bouoght a 1994 johnson two stroke two cylinder sweetheart. starts easy, has lots of power, doesnt care what gas goes in. is smooth and quiet and cost 200 bucks.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

jimbo

Thanks all!  I'm done with the hassle of gas.

pcvivavt

Go electric.  I use a E Paddle motor to move me out and to the dock.  Other folks at my club use MKota trolling motors.  Unlike the heavy marine batteries used by Mktota, the E Paddle uses a small lithium battery that sits nicely in the cockpit.  I sail on a medium sized lake.  I plan to get a Epropulsion Spirit motor when I decide to take the boat out into the Chesapeake Bay.  Concerned about range?  Buy another battery.  The batteries are expensive but over time you will save money on gas, oil, and maintenance.