a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Basic Eclipse questions

Started by JTarka, September 03, 2022, 08:29:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JTarka

I'm in the market for a trailerable cruiser, and the Com-Pac Eclipse seems to be a good option for my requirements.
A couple of questions for Eclipse owners:
* Keel / Centerboard (swing keel?): How is this designed?  Is the centerboard weighted, or is all the weight in the actual keel (like in a C19)?
* Does the centerboard (swing keel??) require a lot of maintenance?  If so, how big of an ordeal is that?
* I've heard the Eclipse is easier to raise and lower the mast than many similar size boats - can someone explain how it's done on Eclipse?

Thanks so much !

johnno

Hi, I'll make a start as a 6 month Eclipse owner.

Mast raising and lowering is very easy mainly because of the Mastender system. With the mast being hinged, and the boom (with gooseneck temporarily below the hinge) rested on the boom crutch, and with no backstay, it is very easy to simply raise using the tackle from the vang and the supplied gin pole. There are plenty of youtube videos on this.  https://www.com-pacyachts.com/mastendr-mastraising.html

In reality I have found it very simple and effortless.  With other boats there is the extra weight of the mast from deck level up to raise, and there is usually no proprietary lifting system, so one must either construct one, or use plenty of muscle power and good balance to walk the mast forward and up.

I can't comment authoritatively on the keel and board questions, but according to the specs the boat has 700lb of ballast, and as the centreboard is pretty easy to raise and lower, I'd guess the board weight is just sufficient for it to keep itself down when sailing and most of that 700lb is in the keel.  Those who have owned older boats or have owned them for longer are better able to answer the board maintenance question.

Fastdoc98

The board is stainless so drops under its own weight.  It's very easy to raise and lower, easily done one-handed.  A cam cleat holds it in place.  As far as maintenance goes, the line may need to be replaced from time to time depending on wear and conditions (trailering vs. slip), but I've never heard once on this forum anyone talk about having to replace the pivot.  Seemed to be fairly common to have to do so on the Precision 21 and 23.  The mast raising is remarkably easy and once you have the process down it can be accomplished very quickly.  I was afraid that the features that made it easily trailerable would mean it wasn't a very solid boat, just a light-duty daysailor, but let me tell you this model is tough as nails.  Check out my Door County Trip report as a testament!

JTarka

Thanks so much for the info.

I once owned a Catalina 25 with a swing keel, and I dreaded the day I would need to replace the pivot pin on it.  I sold it before that was required.
Sounds like the Eclipse uses some kind of line to raise and lower the swing keel vs. a metal cable (?).

Really like what I'm hearing about ease of raising and lowering the mast.
Now - if I can just find an Eclipse for sale.....

Seachelle

Hi, JTarka ~

I have a lead for you on an Eclipse for sale. It's a 2005 model; please PM here on the forum for details, or you can contact me through my website using the 'Contact' page.

Fair winds,
~ Chelle
SV Sunflower (Sunny) | 2021 Com-Pac Legacy
SV No Mas! | 1990 Com-Pac 23D MK3
sailawaywithchelle.wordpress.com

johnno

Quote from: JTarka on September 04, 2022, 09:40:31 AM
Sounds like the Eclipse uses some kind of line to raise and lower the swing keel vs. a metal cable (?).
Yep, a line and tied to the bottom of the trailing edge so not much force required to raise it. Cam cleat and line exit is on the cockpit floor.

JTarka

I appreciate the feedback from everyone.

Has there been any significant design changes of the Eclipse over the years that anyone is aware of?
Any reason not to consider an older Eclipse if I find one?

Thanks again.

Fastdoc98

Others would know better than I (Al, you around?) but the only change that I'm aware of over the years is the bimini if you get one.  The older style ran the tubing hinged off the front of the arch and the canvas snapped to the mast/boom rests on the arch.  The newer version from ComPac places a typical bow on the coaming and ties out to the jib cleats and rearward to the arch.  I don't think structurally or functionally anything else changed.  You'll have to be patient trying to find one as they're as rare as hen's teeth.  I searched for a good long time before I was lucky enough to find 2 within a few hours of where I live.  I passed on the first one as it was needing some TLC and hadn't been cared for and fortunately the second one was much nicer so I struck a deal ASAP.  I watched Sailboatlistings.com daily and also searched for ComPacs through SearchTempest.

slode

I wouldn't hesitate on an older one as long as you do a good thorough inspection.  The mast hinge, gooseneck, portlight seals, electrical, and of course the rigging are all points to look closely at.  There's probably more concerns with an older trailer, but that is also easy stuff to remedy if you have some technical ability.

I put together a more in depth manual you can find here that may help when looking at the rigging. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PAK5gunRswBET94mNC5z2O7ZhWRsz3as
"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41