a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Sail damage

Started by Renae, June 12, 2022, 09:24:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Renae

A grommet pulled through the leading edge while raising sail today.  I swear it made the "pteerroooww" sound...

Anyone going over after this on there own?  I figure I'll bend my spare while someone else makes it right.  And, I'll probably let up on the outhaul a skoch.

bruce

I'd discuss it with Sail Technologies. The sail is barely a year old.
https://cpyoa.com/forum/index.php?topic=12080.0

PC sails from Sail Technologies are having similar problems. Some have added an extra shackle or a little bit of line, like a soft shackle, to get that top grommet further away from the mast. It looks like that's were it wants to be.

The bolt rope just parted? The wrinkle you showed last May wasn't that bad.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Renae

Quote from: bruce on June 13, 2022, 07:27:32 AM
I'd discuss it with Sail Technologies. The sail is barely a year old.
https://cpyoa.com/forum/index.php?topic=12080.0

PC sails from Sail Technologies are having similar problems. Some have added an extra shackle or a little bit of line, like a soft shackle, to get that top grommet further away from the mast. It looks like that's were it wants to be.

The bolt rope just parted? The wrinkle you showed last May wasn't that bad.

Bruce,

There is no bolt rope on the luff, as I understand the term.  But yes, the sail tore toward the mast.  The grommet was still attached to the mast slide shackle this afternoon, despite reported sound effects.  I was raising in a bit of a breeze and the tear occurred when I first bore off.  Nothing new about the rigging, not even the degree of outhaul. 

To your point, the sail trims nicely with a gradual easing of the throat of the sail away from the throat of the spars.  You?ll see a soft shackle (with long ?hair?) at the throat in my photo, grasping the two cloth loops at the throat.  I haven?t found anything better to use there for shaping.  I could probably tie a slightly shorter one.  Time to brush up on my diamond knot?

And it should have occurred to me to call the manufacturer today, but it didn?t.  I found a local to fix the sail expeditiously and this will ultimately be way easier than any solution involving shipping back and forth to Florida.  I will reach out to them for some guidance on the attachments, but don?t think it would be practical to have the sail itself reshaped at this point, whether or not there is a design issue.   What?s done is done.   

?Get back on the water? is always my guiding principle after an issue.  I can see why this might not be as reasonable a strategy on Narragansett Bay as it is in a suburban lake.  Nevertheless, your comments are always helpful.  You?ve got a good mind?s eye.

Renae

bruce

I had enlarged your photo and could see that the throat wasn't pinned to the gooseneck as is common, but was held off with a loop. Didn't want to confuse the discussion, figured it was for sail shape. It could add stress to that top slug.

I'm surprised to hear there's no bolt rope reinforcing the luff.

I've got no problem getting the job done locally, and getting back on the water. Given the fit issues some PC sailors are having, Sail Technologies may benefit from some feedback.

We sail well up into Narragansett Bay, about 16 nautical miles from the coast, in the suburbs of Providence. About 4' tidal range, that may generate about a kt of current at times, but no ocean swell. Lots of coastal features to get out of the fetch, and confuse the wind. Our sailing is much more like lake sailing than not. Newport, at the mouth of the Bay, is too exposed, most days, for a PC. We do typically get a strong, 20 kts+, afternoon sea breeze from the S in the summer. The air heats up over the land, rises, and cooler air fills in from the coast. Mid to late morning is best for us.

Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Jim in TC

I wondered about Bruce's comment on the loop (instead of pinned) at the gooseneck, and agree that it may be adding stress at the grommet that pulled out. I looked yesterday at the angle on our sail and there is quite a noticeable difference, photo attached if all went well.
Jim
2006 Sun Cat Mehitabel

Seachelle

Renae, weird timing seeing your post, here, as I literally experienced the same 'pteerroooww' sound when Sunny blew out a shackle on one of her sail slugs -- and it happened on the same day you lost your grommet! Just got my replacement sail slug shackles from Com-Pac a few days ago. Are you taking BEF's sail to Sailcrafters for repair?

Renae

I forget the name of the place.  In Wayzata.  Nice job, 5 days, <$100.