a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Sink drain

Started by johnno, February 09, 2022, 06:10:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnno

I'm the very happy owner of a new Eclipse in Australia - just arrived after a long wait. As you can imagine I have lots of questions and this forum looks like a wonderful resource.
I'm still in the process of preparing the boat for her first splash, and whilst rummaging around inside I saw a note on the sink drain which said it drains to the bilge. I'm aware that one needs to be careful of through-hulls that without the right internal arrangement or proper sea cocks might let in water when the boat is heeled.  Is this why the sink drains to the bilge. I'm not all that keen on pumping out soapy greasy water through the bilge and bilge pump system.
Are all other Eclipse's like this?

Cpy23ecl

My new eclipse is the same way and I don't care for it either.  I think the only way to get around it is to install a thru hull and seacock.  The other way I've considered is to install a marine shower sump.  So far both have seemed like more effort than its worth so I just haven't used the sink at all.

I suspect that if you went the seacock route you'd have to ensure it was closed  while sailing or risk having water getting into the boat when heeled too far and for sure you'd have water blowing up thru the sink drain when pounding over waves.  I've experienced this on a 25' Bayfield I owned back in the 80's.

Fred

alsantini

Well, that is a change.  My 2007 has a drain out the port side about 3 in above the waterline.  When heeled, a light amount of water would wind up in the sink but would drain out naturally.  I re-routed the drain line and installed a threaded plug in the bottom of the sink that completely eliminated the heeled water filing the sink.  This mod had worked well.
It would be easy to install a through hull in the same position as older boats, and a threaded drain plug and voila, problem cured (easy for me to say, right? LOL).
If you need pics, the boat is a short bike ride away and on the trailer.  Easy to get pics
I use my sink often so draining it into the bilge is not a decent option, especially without an automatic pump.  I have the manual pump that I think is standard on Eclipse.
Sail On   Al

Eddie C

I used to own an Eclipse that had a thru hull for the sink. It was theoretically above the water line except when heeled or when choppy water hit the side of the boat when at the dock. The drain hose developed an invisible hairline crack near the seacock which allowed lake water to damage the surface of the wood floor. Note, I never used the sink. I don?t recommend the thru hull drain. A previous boat I had (Mirage) had a collapsible bag for the sink drain. Not a perfect solution but preferable to creating an easy way for water to enter your boat.

slode

My 06 has the same setup as AL's  Not sure if the screw in drain strainer was factory at the time, but if you keep it closed when sailing no water gets into the sink even when heeled to the rail.  It does drain slowly though, even in a calm anchorage.   I would never want it draining to the bilge for said reasons.  We do a lot of overnights, so tooth brushing, dish washing, etc, would leave a mess down there.  The hose on mine between the sink and thru hull is fairly soft and I couldn't see it cracking even in freezing weather.  Use a good quality stainless thru hull and the right hose and you should be fine.  I'd be interested to know why Com-Pac made the change.
"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41

Jon898

Just speculation, but could it have something to do with ever complicated "no discharge" regulations in some waters, specially lakes and reservoirs?

Jon

johnno

Thanks very much for the useful replies. There's nothing beats being able to share ideas with other owners. Have built a few boats, so I'll look into the possibility fitting a through-hull and sea-cock sometime in the future. In the meantime a bucket will be fine for sink duties.

Andre

I have a Horizon Cat and it too has an above water plastic through hull (but no sea cock or valve of any kind) like the ones some of you have mentioned but it's pretty close to the waterline. Since the HC has two(!) sinks there's a plastic tee in the plumbing. The through hull/hose joint is double clamped, the other connections are not. The hose is clear plastic maybe 1/2".  I certainly  would not want the sinks to drain into the bilge!

Although all this plumbing is readily accessible, I've seldom checked it - maybe once a month, but will be paying more attention going forward. Since I sail on a lake it's never been much of a concern. If I was to venture out into bigger waters I might consider a sea cock installation.  Maybe I'll get a tapered plug and keep some modeling clay on hand for now just in case. I do have both an electric and manual bilge pump  but have never used them except to get a bit of water out after heavy rains. I do occasionally overnight and I think I'll start leaving my electric on auto when I sleep just in case - something I've never done. It's just loud enough to wake me up.

Andre

brackish

This is regarding a 23, but the concept is relevant. My boat came from the yard with a drain starboard side just above the waterline.  It did not have a seacock on the thru hull and it was attached to the sink with a very weak plastic accordian hose.  My boat was only five years old when I purchased it from the original owners and the hose already had a split in it because the sink is on slides so it can be pulled out and pushed back.  I considered it a terrible setup, easily having the potential for serious water intrusion with the boat heeled to starboard. I added a seacock and replaced the hose with heavy reinforced hose that was still just flexible enough to facilitate the sink movement.  One of the very few low quality issues I found on my otherwise very well built Hutchins boat.

I would not want to drain  grey water into the bilge the pumps, whether manual of electric, will not get it all out and the bilge is difficult to get to for a manual dry out.  It will stagnate and smell.

That said, I do not use the sink to wash dishes, as it is too small to be effective for that.  I bought a tub, drain and tray setup that is made for small campers and perform that task in the cockpit.  It stores under the sink.

I also think it has to do with regulatory compliance and rather than trying to research what would be acceptable for the initial purchase location, they have chosen to just leave it up to the buyer, or selling yard.  If you contact them they would probably tell you if that is so.

kickingbug1

you might want to check with carl. i think he cut a hole in the bottom of his boat to let the water out.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

crazycarl

Quote from: kickingbug1 on February 12, 2022, 04:17:04 PM
  you might want to check with carl. i think he cut a hole in the bottom of his boat to let the water out.

Close, I cut the hole to let the water in.  Saved me from installing a water tank and hand pump.  Once I all the water  I need is aboard, a quick dive under the boat to push a tapered cork in the hole and I'm all set.  Draining is easy too.  Pull the boat and once it's on the trailer, remove the cork and the water flows out.  Easy peasy!

Note: window screen helps to keep aquatic life out of the boat.
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

crazycarl

I also have great ideas on cooking aboard.
First, get yourself a small bag of charcoal and a 55 gallon drum.  Steel, not one of those blue plastic ones.  Ask me how I discovered that!  Then, soak the charcoal in 1 quart of your favorite flammable liquid...

kickingbug1

truely an inspired inventor. you always want to gauge your success by the number of fingers you lose in the process
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

crazycarl

I did install a sink in our 19.  I was going to simply use the port storage area and have it drain straight down through a seacock.  Many on here and another forum thought it would be hard later to sell the boat with a "hole in the bottom". (many boats like Starwinds and Precisions have this setup)  What I did was to install a riser for the sink and have the drain about 2" above the water line.  The seacock is easily accessable and closed when not in use.   

johnno

Thanks Carl, I think eventually I'll get around to something like that.