a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Moisture Removal

Started by crazycarl, January 05, 2022, 01:45:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazycarl

I know there are electric devices that warm and circulate the air inside a boat, but you need electricity for them and we haven't any at our dock yet.  I've been looking at other solutions and wondered if anyone has tried the dry packs and if they work.

Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

brackish

Not on the boat, have power, use a Davis air dry for it in the winter.  But I do use those in all the closets in my house.  I'm not sure they would keep up on the boat.  As an example, during the spring and summer, in the house with the AC running the RH still stays pretty high so in order to keep things in closed up closets from getting mold I hang them.  Have to change them every month that time of year, they fill up quickly.  I put three in a walk in closet.  I think you would be changing them every few days on a boat without HVAC, and they are expensive.  The tubs are a little more cost effective but still think the humidity in a non HVAC boat would overwhelm them.

If you decide to try I buy the Dry & Dry brand on Amazon about a hundred bucks for 35 hangers.  Work just as good as Damp Rid and about 30% less cost. Go for unscented whatever you do, those fragrances will knock you down.

Christopher

My Mother-In-Law has been using Damp rid for years in her condo in Florida when she isn't there.  She swears it keeps the mold away.

brackish

Quote from: Christopher on January 05, 2022, 09:31:42 PM
My Mother-In-Law has been using Damp rid for years in her condo in Florida when she isn't there.  She swears it keeps the mold away.

Does she leave the HVAC on while she is away?

Tim Gardner

All those adsorbers are a waste of money. The RH in your moored boat will never go below 50% with those.  Mold only requires 45% RH to grow.  PM me for info on a mold blocker material.
TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

Bob23

Good point Tim. Thanks. I figure a boat is a boat and is meant for damp conditions so I try to keep air circulating while my 23 is in her winter jammies.
Bob23

MacGyver

I have used damp rid for years, no issues but I agree with Bob23 that air movement is for sure where it is at also.
The camper has damp rid in it and with all the flip flopping weather I figured I should check it and luckily no issues at all. The boat is shacked up in the shop so it is doing well but I do have a dehumidifier out in the shop to help keep the humidity normalized.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Damsel19

Practical sailor has several articles relating to this. They cover the various products on the market. Products you can diy from bulk supplies, and ventilation strategies.