a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

2008 Com-pac Sun Cat for sale

Started by Seachelle, November 26, 2021, 03:10:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seachelle

Yet once again - not my boat, nor any affiliation - I came across this 2008 Sun Cat for sale on the Allentown Craigslist - here's the link: https://allentown.craigslist.org/boa/d/northampton-2008-compac-suncat-sail-boat/7404358639.html

Bob23

This seems like a pretty good deal.
Bob23

Christopher

Jim in TC

Since we are promoting some craft that are not our own, I will buddy up to this posting with one that is not a Sun Cat but is in some ways similar: a restored 17' Cape Cod Cat. I am confident this is the boat that cruises right by our Sun Cat in any wind and is a fine sight to see out on the Bay.

https://nmi.craigslist.org/boa/d/traverse-city-cape-cod-catboat-for-sale/7408861742.html
Jim
2006 Sun Cat Mehitabel

DanM

Yes, this looks like a good deal indeed. I'm amused by the typo "heavy duty mortar mount". I never imagined a SunCat with artillery....

bruce

Quote from: Jim in TC on November 28, 2021, 08:57:03 AM
I am confident this is the boat that cruises right by our Sun Cat in any wind...

She does carry 360 sq. ft. of sail, with a displacement of 2,200 lbs. Think of that next time you feel overpowered!
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

crazycarl

Quote from: DanM on November 28, 2021, 09:11:21 AM
Yes, this looks like a good deal indeed. I'm amused by the typo "heavy duty mortar mount". I never imagined a SunCat with artillery....

previous owner was a pirate.
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

Bob23

But think about it gents. Would you really want a light duty mortar mount?
Bob23

Jim in TC

And just like that the listing is gone!

Bruce, back in the summer when I was being passed by in in any weather or point of sail I did check the specs, and felt better about being bettered. Though I will admit that at first it was hard to tell whether it was the craft or the sailor. 
Jim
2006 Sun Cat Mehitabel

bruce

The 360 sq. ft. comes from the Cape Cod Shipbuilding site, but when I check Sailboat Data it's down to 250, so there may have been options. Still a handful, and I'm betting that low aspect barn door rudder will have lots of weather helm. He's probably working a lot harder than you are.

CC Shipbuilding does say she's best in light air.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Jim in TC

I didn't see the various sail sizes in my limited research, and couldn't say which the CCC passing us by carried. But she did pass us by with ease. I don't recall all of the weather we shared, but I also don't recall that any of it was on the heavier side. And he tended to look pretty relaxed (and we were able to converse briefly as he passed) so I am guessing pretty light air. We did tend to aim at each other for a pass given the relative rarity of a cat rig on the Bay.
Jim
2006 Sun Cat Mehitabel

Renae

Quote from: DanM on November 28, 2021, 09:11:21 AM

The Sun Cat is a fine platform for a deck cannon.