a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Ceramic sprays

Started by alsantini, October 11, 2021, 04:18:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsantini

Anyone tried one of the new ceramic spray on their boat?  I use Nexgen on my truck and have been very pleased.  Waxing my Eclipse has become a chore as the boat ages.  Spending everyday out in the sun has taken its toll on the finish.  Winters in the Florida sun have not helped either.  So, what do you all use?  Anyone use a ceramic spray?   Al

Vectordirector

Hey Al,

I gave up on applying anything "sealant" to the fibreglass as it just doesn't last very long here out in the sun. I have Girot's Garage 3 in 1 ceramic spray on my car and it works very well as the car spends most of its time in the garage.  Beads water like crazy in the summer monsoons.  If you like to use soap, I love Simple Green, been using it for 40 years, first on the white vinyl tramp on my hobie cat, amazing what it can do full strength.  Dilute as necessary. 

From all the reading I've done, and talking with local boat detailers, nothing really lasts longer than a month or two on fibreglass out in the Florida sun.  I use a small portable Ryobi 1900 psi power washer on my boats when they need it.  Depends on the weather, usually a couple of times a month.  With a turbo nozzle I could get the Eclipse done in 10 minutes.   The turbo nozzle really gets into the non-skid and cleans it without scrubbing or soap.  Stains from bird droppings are a different matter, I just ignore them and the sun bleaches them out in a few weeks.  I removed some stains from the eclipse before I sold her with light 800 and 1200 grit wet sanding.  I guess it depends on how pristine you want her to look. 

My boat looked brand new when I bought her, she had spent most of her time in indoor storage.  After 5 years here outside 24/7 without a detail in a year, she was still in great shape, she just needed a good polish.   A pro down here could make most boats look new for ~ $15/foot, but the shine just doesn't last long and I don't care about it on my 25 year old trimaran.  I just keep her clean (mostly).  She'll be due for a haul out and bottom job next summer after 4 years in the water with a diver once a month. 

There is a 52' powerboat on a lift in my canal.  The pro detail team of six show up every two weeks to buff and wax her. I expect this costs him $1500/month.   

As I see it you have 4 choices: 

1.  A custom full cover, someone in either Fox Lake or Venice could make one for both mast up and down I would think
2.  Use indoor storage, but that means rigging the boat more which sucks, but wax will last longer
3.  Accept that the boat isn't going to always shine like new
4.  Be like my neighbour and have it detailed frequently

Or, try one of the sprays, let us know how it works.

Bryan

2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

Cpy23ecl

Al,

I've not used any of the ceramic coatings but I've used this for the last 20+ years

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Brite-Premium-Marine-Fiberglass/dp/B00A8O7ERA

Wipes on and off with minimal effort, no buffing.  For boats that were outside year round I waxed once in the spring before launch and once in the fall after haul-out.  With my 23 and now the eclipse I only do once in the spring since I have indoor storage for the winter.

For black streaks and bird and spider droppings I've used this since 1987.  Works very well and was top rated by Practical Sailor back in 2006.

https://www.wolfsmarine.com/nautical-ease-deck-cleaner-black-streak-remover/

Fred

wes

Ah, the glory days of Practical Sailor, back when they regularly printed long term product comparisons. It was a great source of objective reviews in those days. Now it should be renamed "Drew Frye's Tips and Tricks." I mean, I have nothing against Drew, but this is pretty thin stuff to build a magazine around.

If I were in charge of the world, I'd fold the magazine into Good Old Boat, give Drew a monthly column for his tips and tricks, and call it quits.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

Cpy23ecl

Indeed PS used to be a fantastic publication which I read cover to cover.  I recently threw out over 10 yrs of PS as they were so outdated as to no longer be of any value.  A sad day.

Fred

alsantini

I accept the challenge....  I will coat the topsides this week with ceramic coating, drive the boat to Florida where it will stay in the blazing sun and report back around April, prior to towing OTW north for the summer.  I am looking to have it last the winter - if it did that I would really be pleased.  The hull, I will continue to use 3M cleaner/wax as I have done since I bought the boat 8 years ago.  The hull still looks great.  It is the topsides that are looking worn and dull.  Sail On     Al

Renae

Quote from: Cpy23ecl on October 14, 2021, 03:52:17 PM
Indeed PS used to be a fantastic publication which I read cover to cover.  I recently threw out over 10 yrs of PS as they were so outdated as to no longer be of any value.  A sad day.

Fred

Monograph or no, I still think PS is a useful resource.  The reviews are very consistent and detailed.  He must be a hard guy to work with, but he does his homework.