a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Raising Mast with roller furlingon CP 19 by Single person

Started by gmerrill, July 22, 2021, 04:48:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmerrill

I've been told by Compac that the mast can be raised by a single person if the roller furling is not real heavy.  I watched you tubes where the jib halyard is used to raise it but with the help of a second person keeping mast straight as it goes up.  I've yet to see anything posted where the mast is raised by a single person. I wish I was smart enough to make some baby stays like I had on my P23.  Any ideas from those single handle sailors,

brackish

Hey, I thought you were scouting a 23.  Don't know about a 19 but I have had my 23 mast up and down a dozen or so times, always by myself and always with the roller furling installed.  Have a system I made.  Works great.  Details are in the DIY section, first page of posts, has a link to a PDF detailed description of the system.

gmerrill

Yes I got some prices on a new one with a diesel which drives price way up. But it?s what I want and this will be my swan song. COVID has driven way prices way up. Hope to wait a year then hope prices are down.  So I found a compac 19 which I?m going to pick up the Lord willing Saturday morning. A 9 hour trip. So that?s how I?m asking about a 19

crazycarl

I raise and lower our 19s mast alone.  I run the main halyard through a block attached to the bow pulpit.  Then lift the mast up while pulling the line tight.  Secure the line on a mast cleat and go forward to attach the fore stay.  This is with a CDI furler.  I have a video somewhere I can post when I return from this 5 week road trip.
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

kickingbug1

i have witnessed carls method and it works well. a 19 mast isnt heavy so the addition of the furler isnt a big deal. on my catalina 18 i do something similar. since i have a furler i use the jib halyard running through the base of the bow cleat and back to the starboard side jib sheet cleat where i secure it until i can attach the forestay.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

wes

I raise my 19 mast alone. The hardest part is the first lift from horizontal to about 45 degrees, when the halyard becomes useful. Moment of danger #1 is when stepping up onto the cabin top with the mast partly raised. Moment #2 is attaching the furler/forestay to the bowsprit. Honestly this is a lot easier with two people. I'll have to check out Brackish's system.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

gmerrill

Thanks for all the input. Ilikr the idea of the block by the bowsprit. That makes a lot off sense to me. Understand there is some swaying but should be able to control that.
Thanks again

Cpy23ecl

https://www.tropicalboating.com/2010/04/the-perfect-solo-mast-raising-system-for-small-sailboats

shows how to set up a "bridle" on each side of the boat that you can use to attach temp stays to steady the mast while raising it. By positioning the top of the bridles in line with the hinge point of the mast the temp stays will steady the mast thru the entire arc of mast movement while raising it without binding at all.

I did this on my 23 and was able to safely raise the mast single handed without fear of losing control of the mast and bending anything.

Fred

brackish

Quote from: Cpy23ecl on July 24, 2021, 06:21:06 AM
https://www.tropicalboating.com/2010/04/the-perfect-solo-mast-raising-system-for-small-sailboats

shows how to set up a "bridle" on each side of the boat that you can use to attach temp stays to steady the mast while raising it. By positioning the top of the bridles in line with the hinge point of the mast the temp stays will steady the mast thru the entire arc of mast movement while raising it without binding at all.

I did this on my 23 and was able to safely raise the mast single handed without fear of losing control of the mast and bending anything.

Fred

That is the one I patterned my system after.  Essentially the same except for the highly elevated stern crutch (not needed) and the attachment point at the base of the jib pole (mine made custom to a Compac). It does have the line that lets the roller furling base go up or down without dragging on the deck and catching on stuff.  I have admit I was surprised at how easy and safe it was to raise and lower by myself.  Thank you Tom Ray for the article.:)

Vipertec72

Quote from: crazycarl on July 22, 2021, 09:38:46 PMI raise and lower our 19s mast alone.  I run the main halyard through a block attached to the bow pulpit.  Then lift the mast up while pulling the line tight.  Secure the line on a mast cleat and go forward to attach the fore stay.  This is with a CDI furler.  I have a video somewhere I can post when I return from this 5 week road trip.

Carl, would you mind sharing your singlehanded mast raising setup? I have an 1988 CP-19/3 with CDI and trying to figure out the easiest way to accomplish singlehanded mast raising.

crazycarl

I'll be raising the mast this Monday. I'll make a video of me doing it. I couldn't find the old video. I won't have time to post it right away, as I'm leaving for the FL120 next Tuesday, but will when I return.
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"