News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Store eclipse on a trailer with the mast stepped but folded over on its hinge?

Started by Koatr, February 18, 2021, 07:26:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Koatr

If I am going to keep an eclipse at the marina on its trailer can i just hinge the mast? do I have to unstep it? I am going to be single hand sailing with no help to step a mast. Also even do i feel strong and healthy I injured my back 15years ago. A good sneeze can ruin my day so I'm extra careful. That's what made me navigate to com-pac as they seem to be easy to rig.

I had my heart set on a suncat or horizon cat because I believe all you have to do is fold the mast down on its hinge and you are ready to go.  However an eclipse just came on the market and I'm wondering if i can do the same thing as long as I'm just moving it from storage spot to ramp and vice versa.

Cpy23ecl

Unless you have overhead obstacles between storage location and launch ramp I'd just leave the mast up.  If you do need to lower the mast I'd think you'd be ok leaving it hinged as long as your speed is low and the distance is short.  You'd just have to be very aware of the amount of "tail swing" the mast will have as you make turns.

Hopefully others with more eclipse knowledge will chime in.

Fred

alsantini

I agree with Fred.  If you have the overhead height, I would leave the mast stepped and store mast up.  However, if you do not have the height then I guess it would be OK to move the boat mast down and still pinned to the stub.  However you have a good 8 feet of so of mast hanging off the back of the boom gallows which would make turns interesting.  Stepping the mast is not particularly difficult and not too hard on the back, but it does involve some bending and twisting.  In all my stepping activities I will usually step and unstep in the parking lot of the launch ramp, but I have the overhead height to do it.  Summers in the slip I usually launch with the mast still strapped to the boat.  I then step or unstep in the slip.  It takes me a bit longer but decreases my time at the ramp.  Doing it on the water does increase the effort needed, which might be an issue with your back. 
That was a long answer to get to the, Yes you can unstep, leave the mast connected to the mast stub and move the boat.  BUT be careful, since a large bump in the road might bend the mast at the boom gallows.  Personally I would not do it as I believe it was not designed to do.  Good luck and enjoy.  The Eclipse is an easy boat to step and unstep and one of the best sailing boats on the water.  Not especially fast, but very stable handling wind and waves without missing a beat.  Feel free to PM me with any questions you have on the boat.  I can leave my phone number if you want to talk in person.  Sail On   Al

crazycarl

When I trailered our Bristol Caravel, I made a mast raising system that worked very well.  I used a counterweight to help lift the mast, and slowly bring it down again.  I attached a block to end of a 2x4 that was then clamped to the trailer's winch stanchion.  The main halyard was ran from the the top of the mast over the block pulley to the counterweight.  The weight was then raised to the top of the 2x4 and the halyard's bitter end tied off.  Now I could raise the mast with the counterweight doing the heavy work and it would keep the mast upright while I secured the forestay.  The attached picture is the type of block I used.

Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

Koatr

Thanks for the replies guys. Seems like I should go see it and have the seller walk me through the stepping process. Maybe it's not that bad. Also keep it on storage with the mast up would be my best bet. I do have the height I just thought it would be easier on my back to not have to step it. 

Appreciate it.