a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Rudder assembly painting

Started by Green sailor, January 24, 2021, 10:42:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Green sailor

Has anyone painted their rudder assembly? If so what did you use?

Bristol14

I painted my 23 twice with Rustoleum paint for metal surfaces. Lasted maybe 2 yrs even with a primer.
Paul

brackish

I used a zinc chromate primer and a rustoleum top coat.  the picture is just after finishing, don't have a current but four years later really still looks great and no breaks in the coating except in the arc swing which is a touch worn.

Gerry

I painted mine with Rustoleum black bottom paint.
Gerry "WyattC"
'81 CP16

MacGyver

I sanded mine really well, then applied a spray can etching primer, 2 coats. Then a spray can standard primer one coat, then as it sat in the sun I sprayed Rustoleum Gloss Black until the primer had been well forgot about, and the sun on the can helped it spray and flow nicely. My rudder blade is only aluminum at the top, the rest I foiled in my shop and so I just leave it alone till I bottom paint with the boat.
I would say I am 6 years or better with no issues at all with the head of that rudder assembly. I thought about having the head powder coated but this has held up so well that I will just do this again when it is needed.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Cats Paw

After a complete sanding and removing any oxidation I spray coated with gray chromate from West marine. Next step was a light fine grit sanding followed by a complete wipe down with cloth and tack rag. Next painted by brush 2 coats of Interlux Brightside Polyurethane.   6 years latter no issues. Looks like the day it was first painted.