a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Current costs for Compac 16's.

Started by Mas, December 17, 2020, 09:07:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mas

Spent some time looking at 16's for sale over this past year for someone interested in one and it appears they are commanding pretty good prices for even those early models needing work. Of course overall the used sailboat market has been hot for a while. I know we were fortunate to have run across our 87' Mk2 16 living in a time capsule! One owner, fresh water sailed and garage kept for ten yeas then simply garaged until we acquired her in September 2016. She is garage kept here as well when not being sailed. We have often said we will sell our Pacific Seacraft 31 before we will part with 'Mas'. The 16's are just too simple, easy to maintain, easy to sail, look salty and seem to hold their value. I have seen similar boats with prices upwards of $6,900! Holy moly! Is this what everyone else is seeing?

Pics are our first 16, 1979 sailing somewhere down river Potomac, maybe Colonial Beach area. Sold her 10 years later for what we paid for her.
Next couple are 'Mas' our 87 we bought in 2016
S/V  'Mas' ' 87 CP16/2

Bob23

Wonderful photos, Rick. I've often toyed with the idea of owning one whenever Koinonia get's tired of me. To me, the 16's are like the VW Beetle of sailboats!
Sail on, my friend!
Bob23

Mas

Quote from: Bob23 on December 18, 2020, 04:58:48 AM
Wonderful photos, Rick. I've often toyed with the idea of owning one whenever Koinonia get's tired of me. To me, the 16's are like the VW Beetle of sailboats!
Sail on, my friend!
Bob23

Yup, VW Beetles...had one of those too! Hmmm...maybe shoulda kept it????

Are you still looking at 16's? What pricing have you been seeing? I started this tread cuz they seem to be commanding even higher prices than just a few years ago when we got Mas. I know, a least down here on the bay, well founded used sailboat are selling quickly at asking prices. Heck, it appears there is only one Pacific Seacraft 31 for sale in the entire world! There were 5 or 6 in March.

...another topic, but recently saw Pedro's new to him Yankee Cat boat that he is restoring. Lookin good! I think he might actually keep this one! Dare we hope we can all get together some time in the coming year?!
S/V  'Mas' ' 87 CP16/2

kickingbug1

you know bob i always  thought that a com-pac 16 it more like a 52 ford p/u. slow,  simple , a bit cute and easily fixed. and slow
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

kickingbug1

dont get me wrong i loved my little 16. had her for 6 years.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Tim Gardner

On of my first vehicles was a 1940 ford P/U with an astounding 95 HPV8 Flathead with three on the tree.  0-60 in three afternoons. First was so low that in gear at idle, you could get out and walk faster.
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

Eric

I've noticed prices of $6900.00 also ,  and on boats that obviously need substantial work .  Honestly I think top value on a 16 is $4500.00 to $5000.00 , the boat would have to be exceptionally nice at five grand .   It's been a buyer's market for used sailboats for quite some time now , and I think that trend is going to continue even more so in the next few years .
1998 CP 16 CB

Reighnman

Having spent the last several months stalking the used market was hot market but one thing I found interesting was the lack of perceived value in the newer model Legacy.  Their prices sometimes came close to a well used 80's CP16. My wife and I have been talking about a fiberglass camper for several years and the prices in 2020 jumped so high that 20 year old Scamps are selling for more than their original purchase price!
Siren 17, O'Day 222, CP 19, CP 25, Sunday Cat

kickingbug1

just think what that 40 is worth today

Tim Gardner

I could kick myself.  Bought it for $15. (engine spun easily - no compression - broken timing gear.  Replaced both timing gears. Ran it for two years.) Sold it for $400.  Bought a Corvair Greenbriar.
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

Bob23

Tim, don't worry- we're all friends here. We'll kick you so you don't need to do it yourself! Yer welcome!!

Mas

Quote from: Eric on December 20, 2020, 01:49:48 PM
I've noticed prices of $6900.00 also ,  and on boats that obviously need substantial work .  Honestly I think top value on a 16 is $4500.00 to $5000.00 , the boat would have to be exceptionally nice at five grand .   It's been a buyer's market for used sailboats for quite some time now , and I think that trend is going to continue even more so in the next few years .

Well, generally the top price anything commands is what folks are willing to pay for it! Seems to be a lot lately for 16's. Eric, don't know about your neck of the woods but here it has been a nice sellers market this year with multiple bids on well founded boats. We'll see how long it lasts but has been surprising. Heck, It seems there may only be one Pacific Seacraft 31 (our other boat) for sale in the entire world where there are normally several. This market has been gobbling them up.
S/V  'Mas' ' 87 CP16/2

Eric

Quote from: Mas on December 22, 2020, 08:20:38 PM
Well, generally the top price anything commands is what folks are willing to pay for it! Seems to be a lot lately for 16's. Eric, don't know about your neck of the woods but here it has been a nice sellers market this year with multiple bids on well founded boats. We'll see how long it lasts but has been surprising. Heck, It seems there may only be one Pacific Seacraft 31 (our other boat) for sale in the entire world where there are normally several. This market has been gobbling them up.

Boat and RV sales were up this year , people had time to recreate and the money to do it , we'll see if that continues .   
            I have yet to break even on a sailboat . The trouble is the value might hold steady if you're lucky but the expenses go up , so restoration and updates can be a total loss .  If you price the boat for what you have into it no one even bites .
          If you paid $6900.00 for a Compac 16 , you could end up losing thousands when you went to sell it .

1998 CP 16 CB

Renae

We're not supposed to make money on boats.  We are sailors, not boat dealers.

Ours is to wring the life out of them, one happy day on the water after the next.  If someone else wants to pick up where we left off at the end of it, good for both of us, but we ought not to pretend we aren't passing along a thoroughly used, depreciating asset.

kickingbug1

bought my 16 for 1300 sold it for 2300