a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Hatches

Started by Trapper, December 08, 2020, 08:19:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trapper

I just replaced the hatches in my 1987 Com Pac 27.  Thought I would share model that works:  Bomar N1029-10A
NIBO   13.38 X 18.5

Those crazings and small cracks are dangerous.  One of mine completely broke when crew stepped on it.   Defender sells the hatches and a new one costs about $20 more than the repair charge.  So new is cheaper and fairly easy to install.

wes

Trapper - Very helpful info! These are lower profile than my original hatches, which is nice. I've removed and rebedded  my originals twice now, as well as replaced the gaskets and latches, and still haven't eliminated all the leaks. Very glad to know you've found a replacement model that fits.

Did you re-use the original screw holes, fill with epoxy and re-drill, or drill new holes in different locations?

Did you bed with 5200?

Did you buy new trim rings for the cabin side? Defender mentions they are available but doesn't list a price or part number.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

Trapper

Wow, great questions.  I bought the boat in August and both hatches were bad.  The aft hatch had a bad gasket and had cracks and crazing.  The forward hatch just had crazing and cracking.   I started to have the tops repaired but decided on replacement.  I ordered the hatches from Defender after a lot of measuring and praying I got it right. The hatches were back ordered.  I finally received the first one in late September.  At the time, I had a guy installing a new head and air conditioner.  So he installed the hatch with 5200.  We did the aft one first because it was really leaking.  He went home and then the forward hatch broke when a crew member stepped on it.  I now have the second new hatch but it has not been installed.  The guy installing it is using a different bonding agent.  I will let you know tomorrow.  The ring:  the interior ring on the aft hatch was broken in the new install.  Bomar has them.  Not totally sure in the cost.  But they come in different sizes ie 1" 1.5" etc.  I think ours is one inch. Am going to try to order this week. 

The new hatch is lower profile but it fits perfectly.  All and all, I am glad I went with the replacement route.  And, in full disclosure--I am a girl and I do not do my own repairs because, I am an old girl.  How old is irrelevant. So I am passing on information from my fantastic repair guys!

Trapper

Ok, he is going to use Butyl tape to seal the hatch.  And, the screw holes matched.