a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Com Pac 16 rear mast mount for transportation

Started by konstan, October 13, 2020, 09:41:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

konstan

Got this one done last week; tested it on a short drive this weekend, worked fine.

A fork on top to hold the mast, two 90 degree brackets to attach the crutch to the rudder gudgeon.

Felt attached to the fork by some clumsy sewing and zip locks.

Gerry

That should work, but why not use PVC instead of sewn covers on the forks.
Gerry "WyattC"
'81 CP16

konstan

Could've used PVC on the fork, true, but I already lined my front mount (which is just a big PVC cylinder) with felt, so... wanted to be consistent I guess!

slode

Looks okay.  But I see the nuts vibrating loose underway.  Why not drill a hole through each bolt and use a hairpin cotterpin to keep them from coming out?  Or find pins the same size & length as the current bolts and do the same.  Would be quicker and toolless removal and install.
"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41

AirborneJarhead

You weren't kidding when you said you liked to tinker on things! I'm loving all the projects you are knocking out on the boat. I missed not taking her out on a fall leaf viewing cruise on the lake. Keep up the good work!
Cheers!
Rick
s/v Little Wing
Compac 16/1
Charlotte, NC

konstan

Yeah I am pretty happy with how the welding turned out; I am probably going to actually get rid of the pvc on the front -- I want an anchor mount and a nav light on there so its getting pretty crowded on the stem rail and that huge PVC covers a lot of it

Tim Gardner

Konstan,  I couldn't help noticing there is no protective conduit, rigid or flexible, protecting your water heater elec. supply wiring.  Tsk, Tsk. 

In an active (obviously) garage or shop protecting that circuit could prevent a shocking surprise. ;) ~~~~

TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

konstan

Quote from: Tim Gardner on October 24, 2020, 08:41:12 AM
Konstan,  I couldn't help noticing there is no protective conduit, rigid or flexible, protecting your water heater elec. supply wiring.  Tsk, Tsk. 

Thanks for the tip, Tim... you?re talking about the white wire coming from the heater? I will deal with it today! ... and Wow that?s some attention to details in the background you got there!!!