Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

water trapped under cabin

Started by jfair1954, September 09, 2020, 04:04:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jfair1954

Hello!
I noticed that with age my boat starts to have water leaking inside.I understand it will be one of my fall project.
But my question is not where it comes from but where it goes...
Some go in the bilge and get pumped out manually.
But some seem to stagnate in areas such as in the Vbirth in the water tank compartement just aft of the chain locker ( no the tank is not leaking)
Some stagnate under the head's supporting board ( no the head is not leaking )
Some stagnate on the port side in the storage compartement
Then in the main cabin also port side of the storage compartement.
And none of that water will travel to the bilge.As if there was a puddle of trapped water in a hollow area under the floor.

Since it seems imposible to simply remove the cabin sole for routine verification, I tought of simply questionning the ones who know it all.. :) Why does water stay there ?
Jean F

brackish

I Don't have that problem, but I'm going to go over some things and forgive me if these are basic things you already know.  You know that the bilge is in the after part of the keel and there is no bilge under the cabin sole.  That is where the ballast is.  All of the compartments you named should have limber holes that will allow them to drain with the ultimate end location the bilge at the after end of the keel. That is where the bilge pump is and there are no pumps in any of the other compartments. I think that the 23 has limber holes that direct the drainage along the side compartments rather than directing it to the area under the cabin sole as it is best that it should always stay dry.

Best to call Hutchins first with your model and HIN and ask them about the limber hole/drainage design for your particular boat.  For your fall project I would remove everything inside the boat that blocks the compartment hatches, pull them all out and shine a light into each compartment to make sure that the limber holes are not blocked. It is possible that partial blockage may cause some water to stay in the compartment.  Also the attitude of the boat could be a factor if you are heavy in the bow at mooring. 

I would worry about where it comes from if you don't already know.  Most of those compartments should never have water in them.  The first place where leaks occur is in the hull to deck joint in the area of the shroud chainplates.  A strong storm or a pressure washing will also force water under the sliding hatch on my boat, but not a significant amount.