a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

After the storm

Started by alsantini, August 11, 2020, 08:09:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsantini

Well last night we had a massive storm that blew through northern Illinois.   This morning I went to the boat and as I walked up I held my breath since I saw much damage on the boats on A dock.  I am one slip in from the end of the dock and could write a book on how not to tie up your boat based on the rest of my A dock brethren.  Off the Wind was floating in her slip undamaged (phew).  There was a group of sailors talking on the docks.  One boat (not a sailboat) had punched a hole in the bow by repeatedly being run into the dock.  Another had significant dock rash from scraping the edge (actually had ripped off the rubber protection on the dock!).  The group seemed to be amazed that I had sustained no damage.  I did not have the heart to tell them that they did not know how to tie their boats up and just listened.  Here is what I do and it has worked for years.  My slip has two cleats on the side dock and one on the the front dock.  I have two fenders with a line about a foot long connecting them.  I tie this horizontally to the dock cleats and pull it tight.  It sits below the lip of the dock and above the water by about 1.5 feet.  If Off the Wind is blown into the dock the 2 fenders prevent her from being able to contact the dock.   I have a fixed line on the stern cleat and two lines on the bow, that prevent her from moving back and forth in the slip.  Lastly, I installed a midships cleat on the Eclipse and have 2 spring lines - one heading aft to the rear dock cleat and one heading forward to the to the other dock cleat.  5 lines hold her but allow movement in the slip.  Before I leave I grab the bow, push and pull it making sure that the boat cannot contact the dock.  Not saying it is perfect but it has worked for me.  I add a bungee around the genoa and two bungee's over the boom and I am good to go.  What do the rest of you in slips to protect your boat.  I am always interested in what other sailors do.   BTW, one sailboat broke both of her lines and had significant damage and caused damage.  Apparently you cannot use knitting yarn to tie your boat up!  Sorry for the sarcasm. 

Roy

Hi Al. I  am glad your boat survived the storm without damage. When I lived in Colorado i experienced a few of these storms with my Catalina 18 and Precision 21.  Properly tying Dow your boat is key. I always used spring lines and placed my Fenders  in the right place. I also like you moved my boat around to double check the boat was secured. I was also amazed at how many boats were not tied down properly .  I have since moved to Venice Florida and have owned a Legacy  for the last 6 years. I keep it in my garage and sail it on the Gulf  once a week.  I am contemplating  moving up to a Eclipse and keep it in a slip but I am not sure yet. I believe you live around here in the winter time so maybe you can give me some advise. Where do you keep your Eclipse when you live in Florida?

alsantini

Hi Roy.  Good to meet a fellow Com Pac sailor in the Venice area.  You are right that I spend winters in your neck of the woods.  We are in Royal Coachman Resort on Laurel Rd in Nokomis.  I trailer sail from there with the boat stored in the storage yard at the back of the campground.  I would love to take you out sailing on my Eclipse but this year is still a bit up for grabs.  Normally I would tow Off the Wind down in late October, sail until about Thanksgiving, fly home for the holidays and get back to RCR late December.  We would stay until early April.  I generally sail out of the Venice Train Station ramp or in Charlotte Harbor.  Now this year is a bit of a challenge.  I am in the high risk category for Covad since I am 74 and have recently had cancer.  We are safe and sound here in northern Illinois and live in a low risk area.  A 55+ community where everyone really practices social distancing.  So, my wife and I are not sure where we will be this winter.
Where do you generally launch in Venice and where do you live.  I don't think I have seen a Legacy on the water.  BTW, I too have owned a P-21.  I had it for 13 years and loved it BUT it was not an easily trailerable boat.  I sold it after getting the Eclipse 6 years ago.

Roy

Al,  i live in a community called Sarasota National.   it is on the south part of town between Jacaranda blvd  and River road right of the Tamiami.  I trailer my boat to Higel  park  which is right by the Venice
inlet.  once i launch " Little Dutch" it is about a 8 minute boat ride to the Gulf.  i  use a Torqueedo electric  outboard so  this works out good as far as range goes.  i now carry a extra battery with extended life
just to be safe.  i love it here and live here all year round.  sailing is just awesome especially when you are surrounded by Dolphins , Manatees  and Turtles. i understand your dilemma  and safety should
be a priority.  hopefully  sooner then later this  will all be over.  Stay safe Al!!

Roy

slode

Al, good to hear you made it out unscathed. 

A spring line is key for keeping any boat safe when you only have one side to tie off on.  However you do it a W pattern of line from boat to dock will keep it close to parallel to the dock regardless of how hard she's getting pushed around, and whatever fenders or other protection you have out can do it's job.

Other thing I've seen too much of is poly line being used for dock lines.  Use Nylon, you need the stretch to allow some shock absorption.
"Sylvia" 2006 Eclipse #41

Cpy23ecl

My slip is 15x35 so much bigger than my 23.  All 4 dock lines get wrapped around a piling in each of the 4 corners.  I also use a spring line from the aft finger pier piling and put the loop over the starboard jib winch (don't have midships cleats).

The port stern dock line is adjusted so that I can just pull the boat next to my finger pier for boarding but when leaving the boat I wrap the port stern dock line around the cleat a couple times to shorten it to hold the stern off the finger pier. 

Fred

Gerry

Well told.  I too am amazed at how boaters secure heir boats to the dock.  You method is just about right.  I would suggest a third fender and if you can another cleat on the dock.  There is no such thing as being to secure.  If you share a slip bay with another boat, add a couple of fenders towards your neighbor.  In heavy winds your neighbor can rub against you.  Finally, I'm sure you use "heavy" dock lines.  I'm amazed how valuable boats are secured with tiny dock lines.
Gerry "WyattC"
'81 CP16

crazycarl

Al,  glad to here your boat came through unscathed.  That storm was one for the books.  Some of our neighbors are still without power.  We went out and bought the last generator Menards had.  Power went out again today for several hours, but when it came back on, so did the internet.

Miss Adventure sits in the drive with the mast up so I can get in and out easier.  The woman across the street received a warning on her phone and came to warn me.  Not 5 minutes after lowering and securing the mast, the storm hit.  Our only damage is we lost a pine tree, but we've lost 26 trees in 26 years from storms so it's a given.  I did see one large pontoon boat that had been pushed sideways 1/2 off it's trailer.  It will take a skid-loader to put it back on.

I haven't been to the marina two blocks away to see if there is damage, but it's in a ravine about 25 yards lower than the surrounding area so hopefully those boats are okay. 
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

alsantini

Hi Carl.  What marina is a few blocks away?  Not sure I have you living in the right place.

Tell your wife that book number 3 is in final production.  Captain Pete and the Dry Tortugas.  Staying around home during the Virus thingy gave me the time I needed to complete the project.

We spent last week near you in Mississippi Palisades SP.  Great park.  Enjoyed the camping, hiking and sitting alongside the Mississippi.  Park had 10% occupancy Sun thru Friday and we are self contained so no need to even use the bathroom.  Really had a nice time.

crazycarl

Quote from: alsantini on August 14, 2020, 10:49:10 AM
Hi Carl.  What marina is a few blocks away?  Not sure I have you living in the right place.

Tell your wife that book number 3 is in final production.  Captain Pete and the Dry Tortugas.  Staying around home during the Virus thingy gave me the time I needed to complete the project.

We spent last week near you in Mississippi Palisades SP.  Great park.  Enjoyed the camping, hiking and sitting alongside the Mississippi.  Park had 10% occupancy Sun thru Friday and we are self contained so no need to even use the bathroom.  Really had a nice time.

I love the name!  Put me down for a copy when it's published.

Lake Holiday marina is just two blocks from our house.  We live in a private lake community outside the towns of Sandwich and Somonauk.  The lake is only 330 acres, but with our own fish hatchery and rearing pond, the fishing is phenomenal.  I had one night were I caught a 6lb smallie and 7 bass over 23" while musky fishing. 
It's a long thin lake with many coves and high banks so it can be a challenge to sail depending on the wind direction.   There aren't many sailors here, tho many of the lake front homes have sailboats on their beaches for aesthetics.
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

alsantini

Well, I have corrected my mental note of where you guys live.  I had you at the Lake in NW Illinois (cannot think of the name - duh)  Holiday Lake always seemed interesting.  Once the pandemic is over, we should get together.  Sail On.  Al