a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Flying @ ?1/2 mast? ... ha ha ha, sigh

Started by UpNorth1122, July 11, 2020, 03:11:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

UpNorth1122

I did the ?unthinkable? this past week.  It seems I?m not the only one on here who has experienced this level of embarrassment, so I feel I am obligated to share my emotional roller coaster.

In May I found a CP 16/3 near me in Colorado and could NOT wait to drive it to my family?s lake house in northern Michigan.  Spent 4th of July week sailing about 10 miles per day and in the most happy state of mind I?ve ever felt.  I grew up sailing sunfishes only but have always wanted my own boat with a jib and a cabin.  I was in heaven!  On the last day of my 10 days there, I wanted to sail in the Big Lake (Lake Michigan) before heading back west, so after taking her out of the inland lake, driving to a public boat launch, rigging/raising the mast.. I drove under a weird concrete structure that I have never seen in the parking lot, nor did my brain register it as I drove under it and watched...heard...the mast slice in half.

It was 80 degrees out, 10-12 knots of wind, and my mother, father, and brother were excited for this adventure (and also watching).  I was crushed, sick to my stomach, and in shock.  Lesson learned of course.  It?s been 5 days now, I?m ok finally and slightly stoked to have a project on my boat to work on.  With all that being said, everything could have been significantly worse.  The mast step was bent and ?ripped? 2 of the 4 screws out, but did not affect the fiberglass or the standing rigging from what I see.  I?ll need a new mast, mast step, and a mast light if I want to recreate it to the original way.  $$$

From anyone who has restored a boat or replaced a mast, can you give me input on making sure it get the new mast on as secure as possible?  Can I just use one size bigger screws to drill into the original holes?  I only attached a few photos in here as it doesn?t always show up.  But I have plenty more to share if somebody lets me know this one is viewable.  Thank you in advance and hope every other CP Yacht out there doesn?t ever experience this!!

Charles

Andre

Charles,

I'm so sorry to hear of your mishap.  You're  not the only one. I too broke my mast and snapped the forestay tang on my PC 10 years ago by driving under a tree limb so I can understand how you feel.  I was heartbroken!

I can't comment on your CP 16 repair, but I had my local dealer replace the mast.  They ordered the mast from Dwyer and some of the other components from Com-Pac. My insurance company paid for most of the work.  As I recall the total cost was about $1500 of which I paid about $200.

Andre

Floridagent

On my iPhone Safari browser the files read as follows:
* IMG_6626.jpg (0 kB - downloaded 9 times.)
* IMG_6636.jpg (0 kB - downloaded 5 times.)
* IMG_6640.jpg (0 kB - downloaded 0 times.)

So, with 0 size on each, no images appear to have been uploaded.  Hence, nada was displayed.
Attaching photos is not easy on this forum engine...
"Cay Cat"     (say "keycat")

UpNorth1122

Hmm, I saved them as jpeg?s and the attachments were confirmed.  I guess I?d accept advice on that as well.

Jim in TC

Can't comment on the repairs but will relate my half-mast experience (on the Big Lake). Sailing a fast little O'Day Flying Saucer back through the breakers on a *very* windy day we were tossed over by a wave and I watched as the boat turned turtle in shallow water and collapsed flat upside down; I knew right away the mast had snapped. I was working at the time at a summer camp, for which the pay was mostly in the benefit of being there so there was no money for new stuff. We took the mast to the camp shop and smoothed everything out as best we could (cutting off just a bit of the most jagged bit), found a scrap of plumbing pipe maybe 18" long that fit snug into the mast and screwed it down. I did have to pay to have the shrouds amd forestay shortened with new hardware swadged on. Sailed that boat a little top-heavy for several more years.
Jim
2006 Sun Cat Mehitabel

Hutch

Ahoy, Charles!

There is only one Big Lake, and that is Lake Superior!  They named it Superior for a Reason.  I actually grew up on Lake Inferior (Erie) in Toledo, so I was always in awe of Lakes Michigan and Huron.  Now that I live up in the U.P., I don't miss Toledo.

I have been doing an extensive refitting of my new-to-me '87 CP-16 II, and at some point the previous owner had also ripped out the mast step.  A lot of folks on this forum give the advice to call Hutchins, as they are very helpful and have all the parts at decent prices.  I will echo that sentiment, as I have also talked with one of the owners and he was very helpful and funny.  What I would suggest, assuming the oak block that is encapsulated in the deck under the mast step is in good shape, is squeeze epoxy into those holes and then you can re-drill and mount the new tabernacle.  I believe it comes with the mounting screws.  By the way, they were designed to rip out in the situation you describe to protect from damaging the deck.  So, don't feel compelled to strengthen the tabernacle with larger screws than what came from the factory. 

Anyhow, I hope this helps and I will be ordering a new tabernacle pretty soon as well.  By the way, my boat came from Kenosha, WI, and she was on Lake Michigan for a long time. 

Cheers!

Robert

UpNorth1122

Robert-

Thanks for the laugh out loud to start my Monday morning.  I apologize for insulting any yoopers and Lake Superior lovers with my wording 😂.  I?m a big fan of pasties and all that encompass life north of the bridge.  I even go to the Keweenaw peninsula every March for their dog sled race and dream of sailing around da UP some day. 

I was amazed how strong the standing rigging was under stress, not taking any damage during the event that sliced the mast in half.  I appreciate the epoxy suggestion and will definitely move forward with that idea!

ps- my dad is from Cleveland so he shares your view of not missing Lake Erie

All the best,
Charles

Quote from: Hutch on July 13, 2020, 07:12:28 AM
Ahoy, Charles!

There is only one Big Lake, and that is Lake Superior!  They named it Superior for a Reason.  I actually grew up on Lake Inferior (Erie) in Toledo, so I was always in awe of Lakes Michigan and Huron.  Now that I live up in the U.P., I don't miss Toledo.

I have been doing an extensive refitting of my new-to-me '87 CP-16 II, and at some point the previous owner had also ripped out the mast step.  A lot of folks on this forum give the advice to call Hutchins, as they are very helpful and have all the parts at decent prices.  I will echo that sentiment, as I have also talked with one of the owners and he was very helpful and funny.  What I would suggest, assuming the oak block that is encapsulated in the deck under the mast step is in good shape, is squeeze epoxy into those holes and then you can re-drill and mount the new tabernacle.  I believe it comes with the mounting screws.  By the way, they were designed to rip out in the situation you describe to protect from damaging the deck.  So, don't feel compelled to strengthen the tabernacle with larger screws than what came from the factory. 

Anyhow, I hope this helps and I will be ordering a new tabernacle pretty soon as well.  By the way, my boat came from Kenosha, WI, and she was on Lake Michigan for a long time. 

Cheers!

Robert

UpNorth1122

Jim in TC- thanks for sharing!

And pretty genius solution you came up with as well.  My family cottage is on N. Lake Leelanau but had plans to launch in Sutton?s bay to sail south toward TC.  I?ve already spoken with the guys @ the Hutchins and it sounds like lead time for a new mast is only 4 weeks so I?ll have to scrap some cash together and try to repair her before the season finishes.  Driving back (boatless) to Colorado this week but hoping to sail once more in late September up north with a new mast.  Hope you enjoyed a Cherry Festival-less town for once!  Although town still seemed like a zoo 😂

Charles

Quote from: Jim in TC on July 12, 2020, 08:17:22 AM
Can't comment on the repairs but will relate my half-mast experience (on the Big Lake). Sailing a fast little O'Day Flying Saucer back through the breakers on a *very* windy day we were tossed over by a wave and I watched as the boat turned turtle in shallow water and collapsed flat upside down; I knew right away the mast had snapped. I was working at the time at a summer camp, for which the pay was mostly in the benefit of being there so there was no money for new stuff. We took the mast to the camp shop and smoothed everything out as best we could (cutting off just a bit of the most jagged bit), found a scrap of plumbing pipe maybe 18" long that fit snug into the mast and screwed it down. I did have to pay to have the shrouds amd forestay shortened with new hardware swadged on. Sailed that boat a little top-heavy for several more years.

Hutch

Hey, Charles! 

I will look for you up in the Keweenaw next March!  We are sled dog race fans as well.  We live in Chassell on the Portage Lake, which is connected to the Big Lake! 

Good luck with you project.  I am sure that Hutchins will help you out. 

Cheers!

Robert