a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Ruddercraft CP16 foiled rudder vs. "Unifoil" rudder assembly

Started by mr.jadkowski, July 08, 2020, 06:03:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr.jadkowski

I'm getting around to replacing the original flat plate rudder in an attempt to get our CP16 to point a little better. Ruddercraft has two options: the rudder made to replace the original flat plate rudder, and the entire assembly that uses their "unifoil" rudder blade and includes a tiller. My question is if there is a performance difference between the two. I don't really have any issues with the existing rudder (weather helm, ect.), I'm just looking to reduce the slip angle through the water when sailing close-hauled. Is it worth spending the extra money for the "unifoil" blade that is a little longer than the CP16 blade?

nies

I replaced my blade a number of years ago with a unifoil.................wow..........like difference between power steering on your car and not having power steering.....nies

mr.jadkowski

Weirdly my CP16 doesn't seem to have the same weather helm issues that others have had, so I'm not super concerned about the "power steering" aspect. I mainly want it for the slight benefit in pointing ability. Do you think it allowed your boat to point better?

nies

Yes it pointed better and was more responsive at the helm................the rack of your mast determines the amount of weather helm on tiller........nies

mr.jadkowski