a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Compare "old style" peak halyard rigging and "new style"

Started by Jim in TC, June 09, 2020, 12:25:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim in TC

While in a conversation with Hutchins on a related issue, the parts guy there sent me a picture (attached below, if all worked as planned) of old and new ways of rigging the peak halyard. The newer way saved them a bit of hardware and also reduced downward pressure on the gaff from having the halyard run out to the top of it. That got me wondering if there is any difference in the ease of raising sail (especially those last few inches of bringing up the gaff).

Our 2006 SC is rigged "old style." The question to hand is, has anyone changed back and forth between or experienced the difference on another boat, and is there anything to report on ease or sailing characteristics.
Jim
2006 Sun Cat Mehitabel

Andre

I don't have a SunCat but I do a have a PC rigged "New Style" and an HC rigged "Old Style".  Both work ok, but the 3 part hoist  of the Old Style will require an extra 50% of peak halyard line for the length of haul.  Or conversely 33% less for the New Style.  Just something to keep in mind.

Andre

bruce

I suspect they did the old style originally to have a second attachment point on the gaff for the peak halyard. With just the one, all of the force acts on that one area, and possibly result in bending or kinking the gaff. I haven't herd of this being a problem. In the photo, it looks like there is sufficient purchase with the 2:1 halyard; both are way over peaked, resulting in the crease in the sail. In addition to the extra line necessary as Andre points out, there will be increased friction when it comes time to drop the gaff with a 3:1. It would be easy enough to undo the peak halyard at the deadeye, and tie it off at the upper mast block to test the new style to see if it worked for you.

The peak halyard should pull the gaff towards the mast as it sets, but not up or down, which may stress or jam the gooseneck, and doesn't help sail shape. Traditionally some gaffs had a block, or span shackle, that ran on a bridle that would provide two attachment points on the gaff, and adjust as the sail was reefed. Dick Herman rigged one on Muddy Duck when he had her.

The gaff on the PC is peaked quite high, so adding a bridle is difficult, given the lack of clearance between the gaff and mast. I installed a traveler track that functions as a bridle that I'm happy with when reefing. I know of another PC sailor that that installed a second bail on the gaff that was optimized for the sail when reefed. He'd drop the gaff into the cockpit, and move the block to the other bail with a snap shackle he'd installed. Both methods are effective, but certainly aren't necessary. Most don't bother.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI