a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Last 2 inches of bilge water

Started by Jim in TC, May 04, 2020, 12:17:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim in TC

Our Sun Cat is equipped with a bilge pump with a check valve at the bottom of the input hose. That seems to prevent the last little bit of water (guessing a couple inches) to pump out. I tried one of those little transfer pumps that you run with a drill with no joy. I am considering a siphon and transfer pump like this one from Defender. https://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?path=-1|311|2349059|2349075&id=119134

Any other suggestions?
Jim
2006 Sun Cat Mehitabel

Renae

Find where the water is coming from?

Roland of Macatawa

Jim,

Have you considered trying this inexpensive battery operated transfer pump from Harbor Freight? I have no experience with it.
Maybe it's lift capability is limited to its length and additional suction-side hose would be ineffective.

Regards, Roland

https://www.harborfreight.com/battery-operated-liquid-transfer-pump-63847.html?_br_psugg_q=transfer+pump
2012 Com-Pac Yachts SunDayCat, 'ZigZagZen'

Jim in TC

The water has been there a while, I think...and after a couple seasons outside I am pretty certain it is no longer coming in (the built in pump picks up almost nothing even after heavy rain or weeks in the water). I suspect it was coming in before some caulking where deck meets hull (the rub rail screws) or perhaps some fitting that has been caulked as I chase cabin drips around. So I am (hopefully) just trying to dry it out.

The pump Roland links would be difficult to use, as I need to "thread" an input hose into the deepest recesses of the bilge. There is another inexpensive transfer pump that I found here: https://www.harborfreight.com/multi-use-transfer-pump-63144.html that has an input hose that might can be extended if it is too short. Cheap enough to try...
Jim
2006 Sun Cat Mehitabel

bruce

Just a thought, if you already have a wet-dry vac, you could step the hose down to something small enough to access the water. The water pick up on my Fein is already stepped down to about 1 1/8" from 2". A little more constricted for a few minutes shouldn't be a problem.

If you have 120V power, of course.... ::)
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Renae

I'm not confident in the ability to "dry out" a boat with standing water in the bilge.  I did what Bruce suggested--vacuum it out, then make repairs on suspect sites and see if it re-accumulates.  In my case, I found a bad through hull/cockpit drain.  I also suspect that the windows may leak, but I haven't gotten that far, and I almost exclusively dry sail  The boat comes out of the water dry now. 

Andre

If it's only a little water here's what I use - a water blaster pool toy.  Only $0.97 at Wal Mart.  Yeah it's one of my cheapie solutions, ha ha.  Each pump pulls up about a cupful.  Last year I bought several - 1 for each boat, 1 for the car, and gave some to my sailing friends.  Good for cooling off when it's hot too.

Andre

Jim in TC

Quote from: bruce on May 04, 2020, 02:36:05 PM
Just a thought, if you already have a wet-dry vac, you could step the hose down to something small enough to access the water. The water pick up on my Fein is already stepped down to about 1 1/8" from 2". A little more constricted for a few minutes shouldn't be a problem.

If you have 120V power, of course.... ::)

Actually don't have a wet vac, but pretty sure I know where to borrow one...not sure why this idea didn't occur to me. Still in the driveway, easy access to power.
Jim
2006 Sun Cat Mehitabel

bruce

Andre,

I have something similar, but more of an extendible boat hook with a water piston function. Great for water fights, and I did use it to empty the cockpit when I forgot to plug the drains. But, when I went to link to it, I see it's long since been abandoned. Walmart's $0.97 special couldn't have helped!
https://www.panbo.com/boat-hook-bailer-you-gotta-have-one/
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Jim in TC

To update: a neighbor had a mini wet/dry vac (didn't know there was such a thing). We duct taped a hose to extend it to the bilge and sucked out a few gallons of water. Leaving hatches open on sunny days to air out more completely and will watch for "new" water after rains and launch.
Jim
2006 Sun Cat Mehitabel