a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Self Bailing Cockpit

Started by captbob57, April 27, 2020, 04:21:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

captbob57

Hello PC Nation, just wondering if the self bailing cockpit drains well while underway. I was wondering if anyone has tried this and if so did you remove both stern plugs or will removing just one stern plug will do the trick. Thanks, C.B.

bruce

No, the drains are too close to the waterline. Most are trimmed down by the stern and water comes up the drains.

If you're in threatening conditions, where you need the cockpit to drain as soon as possible, then leave the plugs out. Otherwise, like the rest of us, put the plugs in and avoid wet feet. At rest, and slow speeds, ball scuppers work well. The rubber flaps are ineffective on the PC. TH Marine makes the ones most commonly seen. The fastener holes line up perfectly with what Com-Pac installs.

https://thmarinesupplies.com/products/flow-max-ball-scupper

Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

glenn1489

Bruce, when I board the boat, I "try" to remember to put the plugs in as soon as possible, then manually bail whatever water remains in the stern. Will the ball scuppers make enough of a difference to reduce that?
Glenn
2016 PC "Papa's Boat"
Cape Cod, MA

bruce

Yes, they will. We dry sail. We take the plugs out when get home after a sail so the wash down will drain out of the cockpit. If we then forget to reinsert the plugs for the next time, we can launch, board the boat, set everything up, back away from the dock, and power up for our transit out of the cove before we'll realize that we've forgotten the plugs. The scuppers will remain sealed until we are going a few kts., at that point the balls will get sucked off their seats and water will enter the drains, if we are trimmed down in the stern. When we're sailing, we can trim the boat on its lines so the drains are out of the water, we carry about 100 lb. of sand in gaffer bags in the forward locker for that purpose, but I can assure you that if I'm back at the motor, the drains will be submerged. At least I can blame any recent weight gain on COVID 19. ;)

A friend installed ball scuppers on his PC, that he kept on a slip. Made all the difference, he could board and go to the stern to install the plugs, remaining dry.

Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

captbob57

Thanks Bruce, I will look into those ball scuppers. Any problems with installing them? Removing the existing ones? Thanks, C.B.

bruce

No, the fastener holes matched perfectly, in 2011. Just self-tapping screws into the plywood-cored transom, so I bedded the screws in Sikaflex. I didn't bed the scupper itself, the layer next to the hull is the soft silicone gasket material that the ball seats on so I trusted that to seal to the gel coat well enough.

I'm always concerned about all of the fasteners in the transom, but haven't heard of any rot problems. Certainly potential for it, especially for boats left in the water.
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

glenn1489

CB, I just ordered a set from Amazon. The TH Marine link Bruce provided is not currently taking orders, but the same product was available elsewhere. At about $20 each (x2), it seemed a little pricey considering it's just plastic, but I like to keep my feet dry.

I know we've been cross-chatting about this on two different forum topics. I'll post an update on both once I install them.
Glenn
2016 PC "Papa's Boat"
Cape Cod, MA

captbob57

Thanks Bruce and Glenn. Stay safe!

bruce

Same to you, Bob.

I see the self-draining cockpit as a marketing opportunity. I've drafted a press release.

"Always the innovator, in the Picnic Cat Com-Pac provides a novel self-filling feature, designed to replenish the cockpit live well and foot wash with locally-sourced, fresh and sparkling water. Farm to table for your summer dining!"
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI

Finbar Beagle

I have the ball scuppers installed.  To keep feet dry, I also have installed a cockpit grate.  Easy to build one for astern of the centerboard for when using motor.
Brian, Finbar Beagle's Dad

CP 19 MkII- Galway Terrapin, Hull 372
Northern Barnegat Bay, NJ

glenn1489

Bruce, this is great!

Quote from: bruce on April 29, 2020, 07:58:53 PM
"Always the innovator, in the Picnic Cat Com-Pac provides a novel self-filling feature, designed to replenish the cockpit live well and foot wash with locally-sourced, fresh and sparkling water. Farm to table for your summer dining!"
Glenn
2016 PC "Papa's Boat"
Cape Cod, MA

Roger

just curious. when boat is moored and its raining hard does it self drain?

captbob57

Roger, from what I have read the boat will self drain until you get in it. Then it's time to get your feet wet while you are putting in the stern plugs.  C.B.

PawsCat

I finally got my 2018 PC out of the water after two years, and one of the maintenance things I did was to replace the OE scuppers with the TH ball scuppers. I always sail with the drain plugs in, but I keep them out at the dock (even though I have a full cockpit cover) so the cockpit could drain if needed. The ball scuppers let far less water into the cockpit than the OE ones when I hop in the boat and scramble to get the plugs in.  https://www.wholesalemarine.com/t-h-marine-flow-max-ball-scupper/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1cjmmMzP6QIVGcDICh0XtgAqEAQYBSABEgJMLvD_BwE

bruce

Just curious, PawsCat, about how many PCs have been built. What's the hull number on your '18?
Bruce
Aroo, PC 308
Narragansett Bay, RI