News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Through hull extension fittings for trolling motor?

Started by In The Pocket, April 22, 2020, 12:16:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

In The Pocket

Has anyone installed something like the below linked male/female trolling motor connectors to run an extension from my trolling motor to the battery (farther forward) in the least obstructive way?  I want to move the battery out of the stern bilge storage area for balancing.  I'm a little hesitant to drill holes in the deck but I think if done right, this would be ok. 

Sorry, couldn't figure out how to concisely hyperlink so pasted below.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J60IU7E/?coliid=I14225BDHOGFX&colid=133P8HVQ1Y6H&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J60IUCE/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B01J60IUCE&pd_rd_w=6exW4&pf_rd_p=48d372c1-f7e1-4b8b-9d02-4bd86f5158c5&pd_rd_wg=msp3l&pf_rd_r=XBSEZY7QN59G1S76A5PP&pd_rd_r=8ff4b452-909e-43f8-86c6-1dc4df86b27e&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzRDFTNjE0R0JBSjdKJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMTc0NjIwUkJSVTFPMjYzWUZSJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAyNjQ4MTZNUlJJUUFHWDZFTEkmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWwmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

AirborneJarhead

I installed it on my 16 last year and it worked out fine. I was hesitant to cut the trolling motor wire to install the adaptor but all turned out fine. I put mine in the port side back near the transom and rn the wires so I could put the battery just forward of the mast support pole. This year, I'm actually going to hang the wires so they aren't in the way so much.
Please excuse the dirty cockpit...just finishing up with pollen season!
Cheers!
Rick
s/v Little Wing
Compac 16/1
Charlotte, NC

In The Pocket

Quote from: AirborneJarhead on April 23, 2020, 02:51:17 PM
I installed it on my 16 last year and it worked out fine.

I appreciate the pic. Is there any sort of backing support or nuts on the other side of that or did you just screw it into the deck, and be done? 

AirborneJarhead

I used screws and 4200...Backing plate wasn't required, in my opinion. Have had not issues with stability.
Cheers!
Rick
s/v Little Wing
Compac 16/1
Charlotte, NC

In The Pocket

mr.jadkowski

I did the same, and it works great. The battery lives up in the front of the boat. Do yourself a favor and get an extra motor-side disconnect and make an SAE adapter. Then you can use the motor hookup to charge the battery. I hook up a 10W solar panel when my boat is on the mooring to keep the battery topped up, and hook up my storage charger during the winter to keep the battery in good shape.

In The Pocket

So what I ended up doing was putting a weather gasket around the lip of the lazarette compartment but l left one small area open.  So now the motor wire sits right in that gap with the hatch closed and doesn't get pinched.  No holes drilled is a good outcome for me.