Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

CP-16 Complete Refitting

Started by Hutch, April 14, 2020, 01:13:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hutch

Ahoy, Sailors!

I took some good advice from Jim, who had a similar project, and couldn't get his hull and deck to align.  I started working on the bulkheads and bunks, so I temporarily put the deck back onto the hull, without any issues.  Now the next step will be to go in and do some of the glass work, tabbing and filleting the bulkheads and bunk boards to the hull.  Once that is done and secure on the backsides, I will remove the deck again and finish glassing in the bunks and bulkheads.  One step at a time.  At least it looks like a boat again!

Robert

Hutch

Here she starts to look like a boat again.  My colleague and good friend helped me lowering the deck back onto the hull and aligning everything.  I am using #8-32 2" stainless steel screws. Hopefully, I avoid the troubles that Jim had. 

The ice is finally starting to move on the lake behind my house!

Cheers!

Robert

Renae

These bottom up rebuilds do impress me, although they inspire in me no desire to "go and do likewise". 

Great job and heckuva result!

Hutch

Thank you, Renae!  I did not start out thinking I would be doing all this.  It is really not as hard as it looks.  It has been fun, and I do not feel any pressure to get it done.  I work when I feel like it.  Considering I only paid $750 for the boat, I do not feel bad about all the efforts.  It's been a learning experience for me, and I could see taking on a larger project in the future. 

So, my Easter day work was to start filleting the bulkhead in.  I used West System epoxy with the silica thickener.  It still wasn't what I wanted for filling in the gaps, so I started cutting up some chop strand mat, which really worked well for holding the epoxy in place.  I have two alternating layers of mat and cloth over that.  These pictures are the third layer of mat, before the final layer of cloth. 

Cheers!

Robert

Hutch

Ahoy, sailors!

It is still pretty cold in the U.P., but at least warm enough for epoxy work.  I have been tabbing in the bunks and finished the bulkheads.  I cut out the cover for the forward cavity, but I am going to fill that with two-part poly closed-cell foam first.  Unfortunately, I will have to wait for 70 degrees, which may not happen for a while.  In the mean time, I am going to work on some new G10 backing plates for the transom and the front hook/bobstay.  I coated the forward cavity with epoxy in preparation for the foam.

Cheers!

Robert

Hutch

A couple more photos:

Hutch

Ahoy, Sailors!

The work continues, with the weather just on the verge of being uncooperative.  It's just warm enough to do some epoxy work, but not warm enough for the two-part foam.  But, I had a couple of other things to do, like cutting and setting G10 backing plates on the transom.  I also removed the rotten wooden block forward on the bow.  I cut a new block out of oak and will epoxy it in with a G10 backing plate behind it: extra strong.

Cheers!

Robert

Hutch

Here's the wooden backing block at the bow.  You can see that it wasn't doing much and allowed that bow hook to move and loosen.  Once I get this epoxied in with the G10 backing plate, it won't loosen again.

Hutch

Ahoy!

A few updates. The weather is getting warmer, and I have made some progress.  I also started working on the Sunfish.  I had to install two new inspection ports, fix the rotten wooden blocks that backed the cleat and fairlead, and installed some new hardware.  This is my son's boat.  I'll get to fixing my Sunfish later.

Robert

Hutch

Ahoy, Sailors!

Okay, I finished the foam under the bunks.  I hated this job, as that foam was messy when you cut it or sand it.  I completed the forward cabin first, in the same manner, with two-part 6 lb closed cell foam all the way to the top and sanded.  I then sealed it all with epoxy, and epoxied the deck on top. 

Cheers!

Robert

Hutch

Ahoy, Sailors!

Although I haven't posted in a while, I continue to make slow progress.  I have now glassed in the bunks and the fo'c'sle.  I still have to sand everything one more time and then do a couple of final coats of epoxy.  I plan to keep the bunk tops and fo'c'sle natural.  I used the West System white tint, which works pretty well for the bilge.  I will sand it and apply a couple more coats.  I am also planning on installing a 10" inspection port on the fo'c'sle.  This is an afterthought, as I am learning as I go along.  I want to create a storage area that is secure and dry.  There is plenty of room between the chain locker and the compression post access port, and it is solid closed-cell foam all beneath the fo'c'sle deck.  I will simply cut out a large cylindrical area and seal it with glass and epoxy.  I am actually thinking about doing something similar for the foam block beneath the cabin sole.  This could be a good area for dry storage as well.  Particularly for things I may not need on any long voyages, but keep just in case.

Again, it is slow but steady progress.  My dreams of getting her in the water this year have once again passed, but I did sail quite a lot on my Sunfish!

Cheers!

Robert

Hutch

I took a long sail a week ago on the Sunfish with a colleague, and somehow cracked the hull.  She started taking on water, and it really slowed me down a lot on the return trip.  All this practice of glass work has really paid off.  I now am looking for fiberglass projects and may even try some carbon fiber projects for my '72 MG Midget, as I turn her into a vintage racer!

One lesson for anyone is that it simply takes practice to develop some techniques.  I would certainly do things differently on the CP-16, if I were doing it all over.  In fact, I am already thinking about a larger project in the future!  West Systems is really a great resource, by the way.  I called them and talked with one of their engineers to get some advice at one point.  They are very knowledgeable and helpful.  I would skip buying some of the other premixed products, like barrier coating, and simply mix my own with West System products.  It is by far the cheapest, and easiest to do.  I now have different hardeners and fillers in my workshop, and am prepared for different issues.  Again, it is all a learning process, and you get better as you try different products out. 

Cheers!

Robert

Hutch

Ahoy, Sailors!

I apologize for keeping you waiting for updates, but I also own a classic British sports car, a '72 MG Midget.  I don't know if I need to say any more about that, but it keeps me busy in the garage over the summer months.  My motivation seems to come in spurts for working on the boat or working on the MG.  Anyhow, I have now started working on the deck and getting it ready for putting it all back together. 

You can see that the bilge is painted now.  I used bilge paint from Total Boat.  It is a one-part epoxy, and a great product.  It really sticks and is thick.  But, it stinks to high heaven. I had to wear my charcoal organic filters on my breathing mask. 

I am now strengthening the thin, and in some places quite brittle, lip on the deck, where the deck and the hull are sealed and fastened together. 

Cheers!

Robert

crazycarl

Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

Hutch

Thank you, Carl!  I do appreciate the encouragement.